CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 11-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Classing System 2018 data

Folks, attached is a chart that shows the relationship between 44 2018 OTA competitors' Performance Index (PI) score and their average event score that counts to class and overall placings (max 100 for an event winner).

I show this to demonstrate that the OTA sysem while not perfect is pretty darn good. If the system was perfect and all drivers were equally capable of driving their cars to achieve the most performance the car has to offer, then the blue line on the chart would be perfectly flat and everyone would score 100 points.

Well not every driver has equal skill nor are cars set up to achieve maximum performance with their current mods. Both luck and track preference also influence the result. That's why the blue line is variable.

The fact remains however, that the trend line through the data is virtually flat, meaning that the car classing system is not biased to any specific PI result. It is an fair system. Furthermore the standard deviation across the 44 competitors is only 2.74, meaning that the system accurately enables very close competition across all PI levels. It also means that OTA drivers are a remarkably capable and competitive group, as we all know.

Keep in mind that this is a human based and controlled system so for the data to show such remarkably positive results is a testament to those who have used and improved it over the years.

Discuss.
Attached Images

GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Re: Classing System 2018 data

Great analysis, Gary. I thought about doing something similar but don't have access to the PIP data. (Side point: making the PIP schedules available to all would allow others to do this kind of analysis too.)

I'm guessing that you included all competitors who completed 3 events or greater. I count 32 who completed five or more events, 38 who completed 4 or more and 45 who completed 3 or more.

Do the results change if you only include competitors who completed 5 or more events; i.e. 32 competitors? Also, are you dropping the the worst event for those who completed 6 events? Just curious.
Jim (aka "Lawrence") Mazda Miata OTA #78
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmo-san View Post
Great analysis, Gary. I thought about doing something similar but don't have access to the PIP data. (Side point: making the PIP schedules available to all would allow others to do this kind of analysis too.)

I'm guessing that you included all competitors who completed 3 events or greater. I count 32 who completed five or more events, 38 who completed 4 or more and 45 who completed 3 or more.

Do the results change if you only include competitors who completed 5 or more events; i.e. 32 competitors? Also, are you dropping the the worst event for those who completed 6 events? Just curious.
All who did 3 events and I did not drop the worst event.
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the great analysis. Nice to know we are on the right track.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Should I pay up my SPSS License?