CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 PM

What brand of tires were the fastest ?

Yes I know the secret to speed with low pips is the RE71R but what tire were the (other) fast cars running on ?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 PM

Re: What brand of tires were the fastest ?

I am not fast, but I think the Hankook RS4's are excellent! I ran 245/40/17 on 8.5 wheels square setup with 36psi hot temps.

I build speed through the run, if you run your fastest lap on lap 1 then I would say the RE71R is the right tire, if it takes you a couple of laps like me; then the RS4 is a good choice!

I ran RE71R's in 2015, and Trofeo's last year and my car is quicker this year on RS4's although it is a completely different car..

Not sure how helpful this will be, pretty much have to buy the tires and test for yourself. Find one you like, setup the car to get them to work! Remember spring rates, dampening, camber, diff, ride height etc. All play a role!!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 AM

The RS4's stood up to a little more wheel slip than the RE-71-R's which would get greasy quickly with generous throttle rotation. That said, i think that the RE-71-R is definitely the right autoslalom tire of the two and good for folks that have trouble getting heat into their tires / are very clean with their slippage.

I don't regret the RS4 purchase, but went away from the RE-71-R due to fast wear on my Right Front at CW tracks.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: MOD? -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 06-14-2017, 09:05 AM

I was also on RS-4's
Time-Attack #29
1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
Old 06-14-2017, 12:00 PM

If you have the $$$ and are competing for the overall, RE71R's are the hands down choice, if you want to stick with >= 180 Treadwear Tires.

But if you want to run a whole season, there's a whole host of other fast options.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Based on my experience with Grant's car last year which had the RE-71's fitted, I would have to agree with most comments thus far.

The RE-71s while fast, get greasy quite fast! They basically force you to make the most of them on the first lap or two, depending of course on the drivetrain config. and power output of your car. Based on last year's results, on a hot day in a competitive FWD car, the front tires cannot stay within their ideal temperature range for more than a lap. What I found with the RS4's this year in testing, again with Grant's car, is they can easily handle a 3 lap run without any loss in grip. Having said that, they will likely only come up to temp on lap 2-3 unless it is really hot out.

To sum it all up, the new RS4 is basically the old RS3 with slightly more grip. Great all around tire that doesn't lose much to the RE71, except maybe in extreme conditions, i.e cold temps.

I think I will be competing at least one event in Grant's car so hopefully I can add to the above with more seat time.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM

The RS4's on our Chumpcar were very, very awesome.

I pushed hard for about 90mins at 'bogie with very little falloff, getting down to 2:34 flat on green track (just stoppped raining prior to my session) with 140hp (crank) and the truly awful stock LS Integra gearing. Our car's pretty overweight too.

I think if you're willing to chew through tires though, you should look at the new Rival S (as in, new version referred to as 1.5 this year). Very fast, tolerate crazy slip angles, seem to take heat, certainly take more effort than RE71Rs to warm up. They don't last long though.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 PM

Was wondering about the Rival S. Is anyone using them in the great white north for time-attack or lapping? They come in Corvette friendly sizes.

Apparently guys using RE 71Rs on heavier cars are getting no more than 4 hours out of the tires ( not sure about heat cycles) but that is just anecdotal evidence and not too scientific.

Personally I found the RS3s to overheat very quickly on my car. Happy to hear the RS4 may be more durable.

FWIW, my Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s have died a heat cycle death rather than a treadwear depth even though in their prime they seemed fairly resistant to heat.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:57 PM

Even the light chumpcars are only getting a 8ish hours out of RE71Rs, if they have decent camber control and even wear.

I'm using the Rival S for autox Dave, and did do a lapping day at SMP with them.

Super fast, had no issues with overheating, but expect similar life to the Bridgestones

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barker View Post
Was wondering about the Rival S. Is anyone using them in the great white north for time-attack or lapping? They come in Corvette friendly sizes.

Apparently guys using RE 71Rs on heavier cars are getting no more than 4 hours out of the tires ( not sure about heat cycles) but that is just anecdotal evidence and not too scientific.

Personally I found the RS3s to overheat very quickly on my car. Happy to hear the RS4 may be more durable.

FWIW, my Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s have died a heat cycle death rather than a treadwear depth even though in their prime they seemed fairly resistant to heat.
I doubt very much that the RS4 will last any longer than a RS3. I used to get a full season, although heat cycled out. And no surprise about the PS2's...I mean they are not terrible tires but not in the same league as the other tires mentioned.

Love to see how the new Rival's are...been a few years now since the first time they came out. I remember having the feeling that they wanted to murder me, especially in the wet!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
Even the light chumpcars are only getting a 8ish hours out of RE71Rs, if they have decent camber control and even wear.

I'm using the Rival S for autox Dave, and did do a lapping day at SMP with them.

Super fast, had no issues with overheating, but expect similar life to the Bridgestones
What kind of times dude?
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM

The pricing on the RS4's is excellent from tires23

Grant
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
What kind of times dude?
Nothing worth discussing really. Had a 200lb customer in the car at all times. Was a baller corporate lapping day, all Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches and... my Miata lol.

Outran all of those no problem, but didnt go over 90% all day: Sone very "interesting" driving on show and lots.of funny stories.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
I doubt very much that the RS4 will last any longer than a RS3. I used to get a full season, although heat cycled out. And no surprise about the PS2's...I mean they are not terrible tires but not in the same league as the other tires mentioned.

t!
Actually Corey, I was surprised at how much slower the sport cup 2s were after being heat cycled (at least hopefully it is the tires and not me). After all they are a street tire that is OEM for some cars and has a realistic 180 treadwear rating. Maybe if they never got hot, they would last a lot longer yet they work better (when new) when they have had a chance to heat up a bit.