CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Re: Requests for Base Car list updates here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
Ford gave you those, Duncan?

The official weight that Ford put out when the car was released was 3631lbs, along with the now out of date, 440hp.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...Boss_Specs.pdf
The same guide shows 3702 for my M3 which is quite accurate so by that logic it should be accurate.But it also shows 3702 for the GT 5.0 so now I also wonder.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

According to Motor Trend, the curb weight of my 2011 5.0 GT is 3620.

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep
Old 02-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Boss is rated. 86.0, SGT2.

We're working on the Genesis Coupe 2.0T.
Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM

I have a question regarding trims.

Lets say the same car has the same power and everything, but one comes with leather, bigger rims, fancy electronics, etc... The HI is the exact same as well because the suspension is the same.

Now, the manufacturer has not published official weights of the more premium trim and thus there is no verifiable way to tell the weight difference. My question is:

1) Would the CCC make efforts to classify another trim (if it weighed 50 - 120lbs more than the same base class car)?

2) Could leeway be given to weigh the car and submit a curb weight not based on the rims that you will run, but the stock rims, the exact way the manufacturer weighs the car? Please note that the car is completely stock.

3) Could weight be reduced another way to even up the competition without taking pips?

4) Does the person with the premium car have to suffer a performance penalty in the name of 'simplifying rules'?

An answer sooner rather than later would be nice (unlike the genesis classification ).
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujjwal View Post
I have a question regarding trims.

Lets say the same car has the same power and everything, but one comes with leather, bigger rims, fancy electronics, etc... The HI is the exact same as well because the suspension is the same.

Now, the manufacturer has not published official weights of the more premium trim and thus there is no verifiable way to tell the weight difference. My question is:

1) Would the CCC make efforts to classify another trim (if it weighed 50 - 120lbs more than the same base class car)?

2) Could leeway be given to weigh the car and submit a curb weight not based on the rims that you will run, but the stock rims, the exact way the manufacturer weighs the car? Please note that the car is completely stock.

3) Could weight be reduced another way to even up the competition without taking pips?

4) Does the person with the premium car have to suffer a performance penalty in the name of 'simplifying rules'?

An answer sooner rather than later would be nice (unlike the genesis classification ).
1. The standard practice is to use manufacturer specified curb weight. We have many cars with multiple trim levels in the CCDB specifically to capture the weight differences. Many of which are only 50-100lbs difference.
2. No, because the heavier optional equipment can all be swapped out for lighter OEM equipment that comes on the same model/trim without incurring any PIPs. See next point.
3. Yes, there are plenty of allowable modifications that result in weight reduction and no PIPs.
4. No. If we did what you suggest, then the car with heavier optional equipment would have an unfair advantage...since it could stand to lose more weight for free.

Will Chan
HADA Club
Former OTA CCC Chairman

Last edited by bsclywilly; 04-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. The answers you gave are exactly why this is such a great series and is so welcoming to new comers.

With regards to 2), I'm pretty sure it will be obvious that a modified curb weight is justified (car is stock but with extra options (based on my guess, 70 - 120lbs) above the heaviest premium package in the ccdb). I will get my car weighed at one of our affiliates and submit that in my ccdb classification as soon as I can. If it is approved, I will look at optimizing.

Thanks once again.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply. The answers you gave are exactly why this is such a great series and is so welcoming to new comers.

With regards to 2), I'm pretty sure it will be obvious that a modified curb weight is justified (car is stock but with extra options (based on my guess, 70 - 120lbs) above the heaviest premium package in the ccdb). I will get my car weighed at one of our affiliates and submit that in my ccdb classification as soon as I can. If it is approved, I will look at optimizing.

Thanks once again.
Ujjwal, I just updated my post, before seeing your reply. It should be more clear now.

Now I'm curious...whatcha get??

Will Chan
HADA Club
Former OTA CCC Chairman

Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM

Ahh yes, it is more clear, but less of what I wanted to hear . Taking out those options is going to be a pain which I 99% won't bother doing then.

*hangs head in shame*, I've joined the dark side and got a mustang *sigh*

However, bang for buck, nothing beats this car, and the sound it makes...I completely forget it can't handle worth a dime (unless you have a silver or black one, those seem to handle pretty good)

PS - the option I was talking about was the mach1000 stereo.

60-watt parametrically equalized amplifier* Six 85-watt subwoofer amplifiers* Four 5.5x7.5-inch subwoofer speakers* Four 2.5-inch midrange tweeters* Two 10-inch trunk-mounted acoustic suspension subwoofer enclosures
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM

2. No, because the heavier optional equipment can all be swapped out for lighter OEM equipment that comes on the same model/trim without incurring any PIPs. See next point.

- If the ccc can look into this a little bit more I'd appreciate it. It would make more sense to change the weight of the vehicle than for me to yank out all the additional OEM electronics, or buy/replace the components that came in the downgraded model/trim.

3. Yes, there are plenty of allowable modifications that result in weight reduction and no PIPs.

- The issue in my case is that car x and car y both with the same power and handling, car x has +70lbs ballast that is OEM.

4. No. If we did what you suggest, then the car with heavier optional equipment would have an unfair advantage...since it could stand to lose more weight for free.

- I don't quite understand this but I assume you mean car x and car y weigh the same, and car x has permitted 0 pip removable parts that as a summation weigh more than the same parts from car y. That isn't the case in this situation.

Hopefully there is an easy solution to my stock OEM concern as I'd like to keep the car completely stock the way it came from factory.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Excellent choice. Which one did you buy?

The handling issues can be resolved, trust me.

Quote:
Ahh yes, it is more clear, but less of what I wanted to hear . Taking out those options is going to be a pain which I 99% won't bother doing then.

*hangs head in shame*, I've joined the dark side and got a mustang *sigh*

However, bang for buck, nothing beats this car, and the sound it makes...I completely forget it can't handle worth a dime (unless you have a silver or black one, those seem to handle pretty good)

PS - the option I was talking about was the mach1000 stereo.

60-watt parametrically equalized amplifier* Six 85-watt subwoofer amplifiers* Four 5.5x7.5-inch subwoofer speakers* Four 2.5-inch midrange tweeters* Two 10-inch trunk-mounted acoustic suspension subwoofer enclosures

Ontario 1500 Motorsport Adventure Organizer
Former CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Director
Former ASN Canada FIA SoloSport Ontario Rep
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Ujjwal. With all that hp, you can easily carry a little extra weight.

JohnP
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM

I wonder how much thrust those subwoofers could generate out if pointed out the back of the trunk.
03 Z06 #72
10 Prius
Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM

I think there's something in the rules that forbids mach1000 trunk-mounted acoustic suspension enclosures... or something like that.

Will Chan
HADA Club
Former OTA CCC Chairman

Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Genesis Coupe 2.0T is now rated.

Guessing you grabbed a 05-09 GT?
Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM

You guys are funny. I'm just trying to get any edge that I can with my new edge . It's the principle that drives me; that and ocd to optimize whatever I can.

The car is a 03 GT in a colour that is opposite to my personality in every way. Maybe the two will counter balance each other and fuse together like symbiote from spiderman. That or Peter Parker riding his bicycle.

Andy, 05-09gt would have been the better car but budget dictated this one. That and it's proven to be fast so I have something to compare to.