CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM

WIL at OTA Events 3 & 4

What an outstNding weekend of motorsports. Great turnout, great driving, close competition and tons o'fun. Spectacular. Here's what I learned.

1. Many poeople stepped up to help with the various tasks which was outstanding. Thank you all. It proves many hands make lighter work.

2. DDT is a tight track until the 2nd day use of the full straight. It really does change the character of the track, for the better.

3. There are some really good drivers in this series and finishing well takes skill, effort and sometimes luck. It is always fun to watch.

4. A tough reality about our sport is that things can break. With the level of competition so high it happenned a lot this weekend. No doubt parts are on order and repairs are underway. Its good that there are a few weeks until the Championship Weekend at Shannonville. See you all there.

5. Pauly is i phenom and a great kid. Too bad for the rset of us in GT2 that he's also so fast.

6. The Shannonville track is great to drive but the whole atmosphere is also good what with campfires and the season highlight BBQ. Not to be missed. It is worth the drive, for sure.

What did you learn?
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
2016 OTA Timer
Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Re: WIL at OTA Events 3 & 4

I've never had oil pressure issues in 11 years of tracking my type r, I've always run a baffled pan with extra capacity, but this weekend was tough.
Corners 6 and 7 make the oil migrate to unknown areas of the engine, I ended up with no vtec coming out of 9 which for these cars is costly. It falls flat on its face and I lost a bunch of time each lap. The temporary solution was to overfill the crankcase and let my 1 gallon catchcan try to deal with all the extra oil. Maybe an accusump is needed for this track, it really is tough on the car.

Looking forward to shannonville, should be a fun time.

Last edited by BColeman; 07-31-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: WIL at OTA Events 3 & 4

The OTA is one of the finest organizations for motorsports enthusiasts to participate in for a safe and well organized venue, track conditions, marshalling, fairness, and above all, have truly respectable and civil competitors who bear the highest level of sportsmanship.
The venues are at highly competitive renowned tracks where safety of competitors, the cars, the spectators and the staff bears the highest priority. This is very obviously evident in the drivers meetings, vehicle scrutineering, scheduling and conduct during the events.
The enthusiastic competitors range from the teens to the eighties, all equally competitive and everyone has a fair and equal chance to succeed.
Our competitors are truly the most amazing sportspersons who have great character, sincerity and generosity, who believe winning is a group effort, and I bear witness to this with this example this last weekend at DDT.
My very competitive Honda CRX had its engine mount come loose with missing bolts and nuts. It was after the first heat with 2 more heats to come. I have no mechanical background and was stranded to retire from competition, when my closest opponents Eric Rier, Kyle Beaty, and then Alessandro Belardo, Jake McBeth and Luc Lay feverishly scrambled for tools, parts and time (we had 20 minutes before the next heat) to dismantle, repair and reassemble the entire engine mount. They then wished me well in the next heat and were extremely happy to see me get back on the track to defeat them!!! Other members of this team included Dov Aronoff of NT Auto, Nicolas Maitland, and others whom I apologise for forgetting their presence. I was extremely overwhelmed, supremely humbled and proud of the character, generosity and sportsmanship of the folks in our club. These are my heroes and I love and thank them all with the utmost sincerity. This is truly what love is, and this is your victory!
The Dalai Lama quoted ‘Your best friend is your opponent’. Sir, I never saw it this way!!
And Shannonville is always full of surprises. Be prepared for your victory friends!
Mohamed Hussain
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 PM

I had a blast, have now done triple the amount of events I did last year! Car is still shiny as I head into the last two events of the year..

DDT is a fun little track, I have not had a whole lot of time there and I felt my confidence going up every run. The car is awesome and so well put together! Once again my instructor Corey laid down some serious fast laps, he sets the bar high and it is fun learning from him..

I met some new friends this weekend..

Sleeping in the race hauler is much better than a tent!

Looking forward to Shannonville, I am infortunately a little behind in battling for GT2 but man am I having fun!!

Grant
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Great talent at the OTA events.

Looking forward to competing for the entire season next year.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 PM

A weekend at Mosport with no rain! It's a miracle.

1) Hang out by the timing TV if you want to learn about new lines.
2) From a distance, Stephen's Subaru looks like a Honda on the grid.
3) There are in-ground sprinklers in the lawn by the building. Thankfully they didn't turn on during the night.
4) RE71R are 1.7sec faster than AD08R on Saturday, and 2.1sec faster on Sunday. (Anyone want my AIM data, just ask)
5) Last year my fastest lap on Sunday was my first lap, and the same this year. Wonder why?

My fastest lap Sunday (lost my Saturday video):
https://youtu.be/jGGxthYzU8o
'11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.
www.aircombatzone.com
Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Well, first of all, it was a great weekend, and I had lots of fun. What did I learn?

1. OTA events continue to be well organized and enjoyable. I liked having the auto slalom guys around on Saturday, and I hope we can bring a few of them to OTA in the future.
2. I ran a new set of Rival S to replace my tired Direzza's. I like them a lot, and I was faster than previous years, I'm sure. Now that I have run both Rivals and Direzza's, I can say without reservation that I strongly prefer the Rivals.
3. I still get faster almost every session, which tells me that seat time is what really matters. And, given that I have Mohamed and Kyle in the same class as me, it's still a bit daunting to look at how much time I need to find on track to ever get close to their lap times. I need to get out more often!
4. The new suspension bushings I put in the car this spring work very well everywhere, but really improve the handling in the "kink".
5. I can't wait to get to Shannonville!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubya_rx View Post
A weekend at Mosport with no rain! It's a miracle.

1) Hang out by the timing TV if you want to learn about new lines.
2) From a distance, Stephen's Subaru looks like a Honda on the grid.
3) There are in-ground sprinklers in the lawn by the building. Thankfully they didn't turn on during the night.
4) RE71R are 1.7sec faster than AD08R on Saturday, and 2.1sec faster on Sunday. (Anyone want my AIM data, just ask)
5) Last year my fastest lap on Sunday was my first lap, and the same this year. Wonder why?

My fastest lap Sunday (lost my Saturday video):
https://youtu.be/jGGxthYzU8o
Please share! I am hoping next time out at the DDT I'll have a good comparison of R88R's vs. RE-71R. Last ATTS weekend out I was getting close to overheating so I had to back off on the R888R's but I can attest that the RE-71R's are damn quick even vs. the R888R's. They just go off faster than the R888R's. I can send you my data as well

Side by side video here comparing the 2 tires until I blew 3-4 shift on the back straight on the R888R's. I was about 0.3-0.4s faster until then but my rotors were warped as hell on the RE-71R run so another variable there.
https://youtu.be/JVtVfCMpL0w

egroenke_at_gmail_dot_com
SOLD: 1999 Silver Frost Ford Contour SVT #1919 (236.7fwhp, 219.1fwtq All Motor)
STOLEN: 2006 Aspen White STI
NOW: 2008 Aspen White STI
TRACK: #200 2008 Legacy GT Spec-B (ex-Koni Challenge SRRT car)
Auto Parts For Sale.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

A little late to the party but oh well.

1. On Sunday, I was faster in practice than any other session. My tire pressures upon returning to the pits were 47psi. Lowering them made my times worse. That was unexpected.

2. Another note to the tires - the stock BRZ tires make it very easy to know when you're pushing it too hard. Although that didn't stop me from pushing too hard.

3. Events 3 & 4 were my third and fourth time (ever) on (any) track, and I still have way to much to learn.

4. Setting up next to Mohamed was some real luck. Thanks for the shade and lunch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBUiLdpRp8

Last edited by mcbeth059; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.