CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 11-09-2004, 11:18 PM

WOSCA Slalom November 07, 2004

The Subaru guys were there early as usual, but by the time I pulled up I wasn't sure if the organizers were setting up the course or taking it down--there were so few people there, and Tony K was leaving. Anyway, Daniel let me know that Marsh had posted that the event would start late, as a result of the Solo Banquet being held the night before. Tony was actually just getting back home!

The course was the usual 1.5 lap deal that WOSCA is so good at doing. (On second thought, this was more of a 1.75 lap course.)

The start was a short straight which you short-shifted to get into second gear before a tight right hander, followed by a sweeping left-hander towards the mall. Early in the day it was very easy to plough through this left-hander.

After the left-hander you were barreling down the track pretty quickly before approaching a small kink that took you into another left-hander. There was a lot of speed to be found here if you attacked the entry and hugged the inside line.

And you could keep the speed all the way through the sweeping left and the subsequent right-hander until it was time to brake hard for the traditional tight left around the 'far post.' I could never get my downshift done properly for this turn (I still need to adjust the pedal height) and blipped the gas pedal far too much every time.

After the 'far post' turn, you planted the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (hehe AWD!) and short-shifted again into an ultra tricky slalom. Why was it tricky? It was tricky because it was setup going down slope and off camber; the perfect recipe for cone destruction. I hope Jay managed to get some good video of Hanif coming through this slalom, rocking the car on two wheels with each transition.

Hanif's attacking of the slalom looked so dangerous I had to ask if he was scared the car would flip over. He said, "YES!" But you'd be inclined to think that would make him slow down, wouldn't you? He just went faster and more reckless in the PAX mobile!

After the slalom you turned left to repeat the first lap. After completing the slalom the second time you turned right, uphill into a long stop box, which some people still managed to overshoot.

A quick survey of the main players showed Daniel to be on MXs, Hanif on Victoracers, Mike on V710s, Peter W on MXs, Ben W on his old BFGs, and of course Trung was attempting the most awesome of upsets by shodding his STi with snow tires!

Hanif and Mike were gunning for the PAX win, and to help realise this end Peter whipped out the calculator cell phone in an attempt to perform complex mathematical manipulations of raw times and PAX factors. I think the calculator crapped out though.

Perhaps the best part of the day was the fun runs. Trung offered me the use of the STi, and I must say it builds boost rather nicely. I reciprocated and let him run the Talon: he didn't downshift so he must have felt the massive turbo lag of the tall-geared Talon on the 'far post' turn.

I took a ride along with Mike while he drove Trung's STi, and this is where all the concepts and theories and algorithms etc. that I'd ever learned just became absolutely worthless. Get this: Mike palms the wheel with one hand and keeps his other hand on the gear knob, the whole time! And he's still so bloody quick. In fact, during the timed runs, he was the only driver to get into the 49's. And no other driver got a 50.XX as far as I can recall. This is almost as hard to deal with as Andrew's downshifting without ever blipping the throttle.

Anyway, I'll bug off now and let others fill in their memories of the event.
Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."
Old 11-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Mike was really moving! Well ahead of everyone. Was he using 710s?

I wonder what the PAX times will show?

Pro Tour Truck

Doug
Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM

it was nice to get one more event in before the winter weather flew in(it was hailing and snowing later on that night on my way home from K/W)
i really have to get rid of my one handed driving ways, but i just can't seem to change...hopefully over the winter i'll get rid of that old habit. getting rid of my power steering may be a option, as u should have seen me fighting at the wheel with both hand on Hanif's car just to turn it(i've never driven a car without power steering before).
going out with Hanif for a fun run was a blast, car swaying from side to side , he trully drives it like he hates it.
i was on the v710, they seem to grip just as well in the cold as in the hot, maybe i'll run them for the winter series when there's snow on the ground
i only got Hanif by less then 2 second...so i'm pretty sure he got me on pax
- #101 SM-
-Prepared by NV Auto-
- http://www.spda-online.ca -
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM

mmm.. winter... rally..... mmmm

Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 AM

Haven't seen the results posted yet? That's unusual. Maybe the computer "froze up" ....
Old 11-15-2004, 12:42 AM

Ugh, busy weekend. I've got the password issue sorted out, and I'm doing them now. They'll be up by Monday.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:31 AM

Hey Marsh,

For what it's worth the 3rd results are not correct. My last run was my fastest but is not scored. Your software might not have allowed for six runs instead of the usual five. A few others are affected also.

Got to get that fixed becauses it moves me up a few spots and will likely be the only time in history that I was able to beat Daniel Fryer in his WRX!! (even thought it was only by .009)

Did Mike and Hanif ever screw up the results. Those boys were way to fast and took 6% off of everyone! Might have had a shot at the championship otherwise even if it was because other did not show up! Should have run the r-compounds. Great day anyway!

Parked the car for the winter, see you in the spring.

Pro Tour Truck

Doug

Last edited by Doug P; 11-15-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 PM

AAARRRGGGHHHH! I take a sick day and everything falls apart! It's even worse than missing work!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marsh
AAARRRGGGHHHH! I take a sick day and everything falls apart! It's even worse than missing work!
MAN!

You must be important!

Next year... I'm in YOUR CLASS!!!!!
Balls-deep in your cl ASS!!!!!!

Deeper, Harder, Faster, Motorsports Inc.

“Good intentions are not an excuse for maladministration of this magnitude,” Gomery writes.

Proponent of the "Freedom of Solo 2 Information Act"

"I'm an excellent driver... Yeah... Definitely... Yeah"
Old 11-19-2004, 01:16 AM

Results fixed. Sorry it was my mistake.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 AM

You sure Marsh?

Numbers 6, 17, 21 and 23 are still affected.

Hanif
Old 11-19-2004, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Results fixed. Sorry it was my mistake.
You might have fixed the results but you never posted the corrected ones.

Hope these problems don't cross over to your driving!

Pro Tour Truck

Doug
Old 11-19-2004, 11:01 PM

Working now. FP didn't want to update the image file.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Working now. FP didn't want to update the image file.
I was just reading up on how GM is talking about ruining this guy for posting a link to some seemingly stolen Z06 photos.

Hope they don't find this link!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&page=8&pp=20

Event 3 still comes up wrong for me and the standings do not come up at all.

Pro Tour Truck

Doug