CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 11:17 AM

2017 Regional Results

I'm going to try something new for results this year.

2017 CASC-OR Autoslalom Results

The quick view of the file will likely open it as a text file in Google docs. If the file opened appears as raw HTML, then download the file and open it with a web browser as a webpage.

The main benefit of this is that it might be possible to get unofficial results up on the internet (not wifi) much faster - perhaps before I even leave the event! Posting multiple files to the CASC website is very clumsy, and editing files that have been posted is extremely slow and frustrating, and as a result I don't post the results until after I've had the time to verify them & clean them up so that I only have to post them once. Often that takes days if not weeks.

Possible issues to resolve:
-docs are not on the official site until ... who knows when. I'm leaning towards one single zip file uploaded at the end of the season.
-at what point do the results become official/finalized? It will still be days before I can clean up the results.
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster

Last edited by Travis; 05-29-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:46 PM

Re: 2017 Regional Results

agree, uploading results to the current site takes way too much time, was substantially easier when we had ftp access. (Updating them is no fun either as all the file names change each time.) It went from maybe a 5-10m job to setup and post results from a new event to 30-1hr with lots of fiddly fields to fill out. (Updates used to be all of 30s, now an easy 15-20m.)

Technically the results are official 30m after they are posted at the end of the day at the event - and don't think it's changed in the rule-book. Although if there were mistakes or issues I'd make the correction and re-upload.

Travis - if it's the best solution we could ftp them to my mostly unused webhost for in-season results (and put link to it on the auto-slalom section), and then only post the finals on the main site at year end - would that make life easier for you? (Dropbox used to have the ability to view html but they removed it a year or so ago, which would have been awesome for this type of thing.)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:26 PM

I don't think the file(s) Travis posted are accessible without a Google account.

Something to consider, depending on your audience.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13inches View Post
I don't think the file(s) Travis posted are accessible without a Google account.

Something to consider, depending on your audience.
Files on Google drive/docs/whatever can be easily made publicly accessible. I have posted many files for public consumption.

Upload, get a shareable link, "anyone with link can view", copy-paste that link into eg. forum. Easy peasy.

TAC's Autoslalom guy
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff96 View Post
Travis - if it's the best solution we could ftp them to my mostly unused webhost for in-season results (and put link to it on the auto-slalom section), and then only post the finals on the main site at year end - would that make life easier for you? (Dropbox used to have the ability to view html but they removed it a year or so ago, which would have been awesome for this type of thing.)
Google Drive is easier for me to use. I've been using it for other things too. My only gripe so far is not being able to quickly open the files since they get opened as txt instead of html. A webhost would solve that problem. I'll consider it.

The other technical problem is that the Wi-Fi router has to be disconnected from the laptop in order to tether the laptop to a phone so updates during an event would be a bit cumbersome.

Cliff you should really come and drive your car
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster
Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Can someone please post the results from Event 2 on the website.

Much appreciated.

Jud
Old 06-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Event 3 results are up.
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster
Old 06-25-2017, 04:02 PM

I see nothing.

*EDIT* Saw it...some cleaning up to do obviously. LOL @ the n00b in STS with a faster time than me.

Last edited by Snizzoop; 06-25-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 PM

One of my runs missing too.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM

Know Quentin and Mike W put a run in too.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 PM

My first run is missing

42.3xx (I think?). Though I'm told I coned but it wasn't called in.

My raw time is showing 44.9 (3rd run - rain). My slowest run. Slower even if my first two included a cone.

We can't continue with the software issues that we're having! I suggest if the software isn't sorted out by the next event that we need to consider another option. Maybe use club timing equipment?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Would also suggest nominating competent corner captains to man the radios. Some calls (or lack thereof) were pure crap.

No car numbers, no repeats when asked, cones out of place. Shits not hard...

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-25-2017, 10:24 PM

Not to defend the pile of excrement, axware, but most of the issues you guys see at the moment are not timing errors, but registration problems, or problems related to integrating motorsportsreg with axware.

Normally our events go long enough for me to fix things up during the event, and also I spend about an hour after each event fixing up results so that you guys don't see this mess. The sooner you guys see the results, the uglier they are. That's especially true if it's raining while cleaning up because I hadn't even peaked at the results before posting them.
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Not to defend the pile of excrement, axware, but most of the issues you guys see at the moment are not timing errors, but registration problems, or problems related to integrating motorsportsreg with axware.

Normally our events go long enough for me to fix things up during the event, and also I spend about an hour after each event fixing up results so that you guys don't see this mess. The sooner you guys see the results, the uglier they are. That's especially true if it's raining while cleaning up because I hadn't even peaked at the results before posting them.
Trav, more than anything I feel bad for you. It's already a lot of pressure on your shoulders and you shouldn't have to deal with constant software issues as well. Just wondering what/if more can be done to alleviate the issues and make things easier for you and the timing crew. Because in the end, without you guys we don't have a regional series and we (all) need to keep that in mind.

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this Travis! We don't give you nearly enough credit!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 AM

Here's some things that would help:

Timing has some tasks to be done after each event that I don't normally have time to do promptly:Sort out results errors such as finding runs that were not properly assigned. Often this is easy stuff. Just install axware on your own computer & away you go.
Calculate season standings. This requires some sort of series registration list. Once that's done, axware can produce standings pretty easily.

Someone needs to look into motorsports reg to figure out how to limit registrations to valid class & super class combinations. Currently it's possible to select an invalid combination, such as S-STX instead of ST-STX. It takes 5-10 mins at the start of each event to sort that stuff out.

Someone who wants to be involved in the future should install the axti.me demo (or whatever you want to try) on the laptop & configure it to run with our beams & display*. I'm not willing to do that myself. It's a few hundred bucks so some due diligence should be done before making a proposal to buy it.

*You won't appreciate how bright the display is until you've turned it on indoors!
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster