CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Sponsor Partners > Radical Canada

Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 PM

SR5 Question

Can anyone share information on the SR5? This car is a bit of a mystery to me. They appear to basically be SR3s with a Honda K20 Engine which sounds like a reliable combination. It is my understanding that only about 24 were built largely due to their high cost and slightly degraded handling compared to the SR3. I found some information on the SR5 in the attached links, but does anyone have any experience with them or have more detailed information? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ,
Charley

Here is an SR5 Sales Brochure link: https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...ales-brochure/

And here a link to an SR5 Order sheet: https://radicalsportscarregistry.com/sr5-order-sheet/
Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Re: SR5 Question

I've been told by many involved (both from the factory and otherwise) that the biggest detriment to the SR5 was reliability. While the Honda engine and proper racing gearbox should, in theory, be pretty bullet proof, the engine produced vibrations and harmonics that effectively rattled the cars to pieces. Not sure if that had to do with the tube chassis, or mounting, or just the not enough development.

Around the same time, Suzuki released the 2008 Hayabusa engine which significantly improved the reliability MC engine option, and Radical started to perfect the V8 offerings, thus leaving the SR5 a bit out in the cold in terms of performance and cost.

Finally, the European market was/is totally flooded with 2L Honda engine cars from the likes of Ligier, Norma, Tatuus, and several others, so not exactly a captive marketplace.

-Matt
Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanks Matt! That make a lot of sense. It seems like it would have been a very reliable combination, but I can see how insufficient development could cause maintenance issues which could result in poor sales in a highly competitive market. It also answers one of the other mysteries about the car. Yesterday I found the Owners manual (https://radicalsportscarregistry.com/sr5-owners-manual/) and it recommends overhauling the engine and transmission every 30 hours, which seems like a lot for a package that in theory would be very reliable.

By any chance do you recall the years of production for the SR5? Was it only 2007 and 2008?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 PM

Radical had built the SR5 for the FIA CN category which was becoming popular in Europe with the Speed Euro Series and the VdV Series. The cars were to be open topped sports racers with a Honda K20 engine. The Chassis regulations were pretty open (much like DSR is the US) so it didn't take long for the class to be dominated by carbon tubbed cars made by Ligier, Norma, Tatuus, Wolf and Embassy. These cars were more expensive and sophisticated then the Radical. The cheaper tube framed Radical wasn't competitive and the project was shelved before ever being fully developed.

It actually turned out well for Radical as the FIA CN category was short lived and those cars now don't have a place to race where as Radical Cup keeps growing every year.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the information Robert. The helps paint the picture of what happened.

Charley