CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 07-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Re: OTA CTMP-GP Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOhAqRUODg

You see that guy in a black jacket behind that tree that would probably offer ZERO protection on a car, in this case, Patrick Richard's Subaru that was probably being driving 110% chasing down Antoine L'Estage?

Yeah that was me. Closest ever to a car. Needless to say they don't allow media there anymore.

I don't even go down driver's right of turn four for the last couple of years, it was just a matter of time before something happened which it did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPFrSpNjEk
WTF? I was a safety marshal back in 2004 at the Pines and we clamped down on this kind of closeness to the course. I haven't volunteered since 2008 but I didn't know they actually loosened the restrictions.
GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
2018 OTA Chief Timer
Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 PM

You worked at TP back then? Bunch of us used to do the VIP group from 2004 to 2008, if I remember, Taline use to run the VIP program.

Was the clamp down for just spectators or for both spectators and media?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
You worked at TP back then? Bunch of us used to do the VIP group from 2004 to 2008, if I remember, Taline use to run the VIP program.

Was the clamp down for just spectators or for both spectators and media?
Both. I worked 2004, 2005 and then again in 2008.

We had issues with insurance where they were strangling us for allowing spectators to get that close.

In 2003 the Sprongls crashed their Evo out of Iron Bridge if I recall correctly and then flipped onto this guys front yard. He wasn't too happy. I remember him coming to me in 2004 and asking if that was happening again. We had closed the bridge as it was condemned and no longer part of the track.

In 2004, during the night rally one of the WRXs flipped on the downhill near the river and spectators rushed the field trying to right the car. It was hectic trying to make sure everyone stayed put. I have old photos on my FB page but haven't uploaded some of the videos. Need to dig those up.
GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
2018 OTA Chief Timer
Old 07-20-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJus View Post
Both. I worked 2004, 2005 and then again in 2008.

We had issues with insurance where they were strangling us for allowing spectators to get that close.

In 2003 the Sprongls crashed their Evo out of Iron Bridge if I recall correctly and then flipped onto this guys front yard. He wasn't too happy. I remember him coming to me in 2004 and asking if that was happening again. We had closed the bridge as it was condemned and no longer part of the track.

In 2004, during the night rally one of the WRXs flipped on the downhill near the river and spectators rushed the field trying to right the car. It was hectic trying to make sure everyone stayed put. I have old photos on my FB page but haven't uploaded some of the videos. Need to dig those up.
TP Media has changed a lot. Three different access levels. You need to do a movement plan which is directly approved or altered by the clerk of the course. Iron Bridge has been back in it at least the last 5 years that I've been volunteering. Anything downhill of a jump like Tanner posted is red taped unless it's at an elevated or well back position. Not sure if it happened back then, but three course cars go through checking spectator position and tape before the stage is opened. The outside of a corner is a no-go zone. Still some very good spectating locations.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842