CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 01:13 PM

WIL: OTA weekend at the GP Track

Another great weekend and the word of the weekend is" SWELTERING."

1. Yes it was hot and humid and maybe cars didn't make maximum power but as always the GP track proved itself to the a very special place. If you don't smile, then scream then laugh outloud, you have the wrong hobby.

2. OTA has outstanding students many who become competitors. Tricky conditions on Saturday afternoon were managed well by everyone. Well done.

3. The students succeed because OTA has excellent Instructors who willingly give of their time to bring new people into the sport. They are so good in fact that the students from last year are now edging out some instructors in competition. Now that's unselfish for sure.

4. Volunteerism is alive at OTA. You know who you are and we can't do it without you. Many Many thanks.

5. So got my car back on track just in time for the most exciting weekend of the year. What a joy it was sliding down 2 and making it pointed the right way. Don't ever want to miss that feeling.

6. BTW, I know William Au-Leung is an excellent driver but had no idea what a beast his car (and I use the term loosely) really is. He must need all of his prodigious skill and some huge body parts to get that thing on the track. I have now seen the Drag Racing side of Time Attack. WOW.

7. Some other very fast machines had issues also which was disappointing. Others just kept racing on as expected. Can anyone say MAZDA?

Next event is at Shannonville and everyone is invited. It may be a bit of a drive for some (just 5 hrs for me) but it is a super fun track to drive, faster than it looks and with double points for Sunday. Don't forget you can still qualify for the OTA shootout on Sept 8 if you have only done 2 events so far cause the SMP events count as 3. Come on make it out for some fun and a free BBQ. You won't regret it.
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
2018 OTA Registrar
Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Re: WIL: OTA weekend at the GP Track

1. By wide and far the MOST exhilarating track experience I have had to date and so grateful to have been a part of it! Many thanks to the organizers, staff and volunteers for making this weekend possible.

2. I lost 5lbs and 1%BMI on the weekend

3. I'm quick, but Karston is fast LOL!

4. Every single person who attends OTA is polite and helpful.

5. If you're not William Au-Leung, you're last!

Overall very, very awesome event and thank you everyone!

The Machado Group
Jon Machado - Realtor @ Large
Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwoody27 View Post
Another great weekend and the word of the weekend is" SWELTERING."
The word of the weekend for me was "PUCKERING!"

Great event as usual, an absolute blast and a bucket list item now checked off. Thanks to all organizers, volunteers, and instructors throughout the weekend! Can't wait to go through all the footage!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM

FFS, someone post the damn times of that monster already!
8legs Racing, CTCC #77
http://www.8legsRacing.com
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
FFS, someone post the damn times of that monster already!
80.2 ... FTD, FTD pax, OTA course record ... and he only did one lap.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
80.2 ... FTD, FTD pax, OTA course record ... and he only did one lap.
Jeebus ... that's nuts. Well done!
8legs Racing, CTCC #77
http://www.8legsRacing.com
Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 PM

1) I need a dogbox

Maybe Mazda was building transmissions for honda in the 90s because they keep coming apart on me.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BColeman View Post
1) I need a dogbox

Maybe Mazda was building transmissions for honda in the 90s because they keep coming apart on me.
I know a guy.

www.drivesport.ca
BMW E30 (#19) | Honda Civic (Chumpcar - Scrap Denial #19)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehutton View Post
I know a guy.

www.drivesport.ca
Thanks, I inquired.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Great weekend made possible with all the OTA members, volunteers and instructors! I had a great time learning and driving at this wonderful track. I already miss driving around with all you guys. Daily traffic just seems so torturous with inconsiderate drivers who have no sense of urgency and no point bys!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:02 PM

It's been too long since I've been on GP. And I've never had my EG Civic Hatch out there before. And on 400+TW tires and ~120hp it was a freakin' hoot! 10 corners and I only have to brake for 3 of them. Wicked fun.

PITL - Car #102
CASC - Car #102
Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM

1. OTA is just as well organized as I remember.

2. Sometimes 'preventative maintenance" has the opposite of the intended effect.

3. The back straight feels very long when you come out of 5 in 6th and drop into neutral half way up the hill

4. Breaking down at a TA event is far better than at open lapping, at least there is still something worth watching!

5. OTA competitors are (almost) as friendly as those at CSCS

6. Very enjoyable event, I will be back!

Scott Shadbolt
2002 E46 M3
Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM

1. There's always something to learn each time on the GP track.

2. I still hear Ford Wood's voice from the 2011 school guiding me through corner #2. He haunts me still (in a good way, that is ).

3. Free coffee at the snack bar - even if it is ultimately paid for by OTA - Is. The. Best. Thing. Ever.

4. My prediction on Saturday that "It's just a brief shower. It will pass by quickly." tells me I made a good career choice in not becoming a weather forecaster.
Jim (aka "Lawrence") Mazda Miata OTA #78
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM

W.I.L.:

1) Heat kills lap times. But not as badly as rain!

2) I never realized how "spoiled" I was to drive a black car on the track for so many years. My orange car went home after last weekend looking like a tiger, with so many black "stripes" all over it from all the rubber chunks that are flung around out there!!! Took FOREVER to clean it up!

3) The camaraderie and group support still exists in OTA as it always had been before I went on my ~6-year hiatus. Thanks to Derek (student with the black ZL1 on Saturday) for use of your tire pump (as I discovered a slow leak from my valve stem right before leaving) and to Dr. Dave for bailing me out on the same issue (different tire!) on Sunday!

4) The new standardized decals/windshield banners are awesome! As much as it was "fun" customizing the body work with painters' tape back in the day, the new decals look WAY more professional ......... nicely done, OTA!

5) Racing is kind of like riding a bicycle ...... even after several years away from the track, it didn't take long to get back up to speed .
Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 AM

1. Timing and racing at the same time is difficult at times and a total rushed-job at others. Everyone will be happy to know I'll be focusing after the 2018 season to revamp and bring in improvements across 2019 into 2020 to make this job far easier and more palatable for anyone to do.

2. GP still has my number. Never got into a groove the entire day. Still shaved off time lap after lap which is good but I never managed to put in a "I'm proud of that lap" run unlike DDT or TMP.

3. Lots of great cars and fantastic etiquette all weekend. Point bys were plenty even with the restricted areas and I am constantly reminded how little torque I have when I try to pass someone on Andretti straight and I BARELY MAKE IT (if at all!).

4. 5B's bump is ... unwelcome

5. Turn 8 is a hair growing experience and I've grown more hair. Turn 3 makes the instructor in me want to slap myself on how bad I take it. If I could, I would go back in time and slap myself so hard I could feel it today. Y U DO DIS?

6. As always, love the people we bring both old and new. Great folks.

7. Dov's a saint at the release line.
GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
2018 OTA Chief Timer