CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > General Interest > Motorsport News NON CASC-OR Sanctioned Events & Series

Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Miller Motorsport Park

Next weekend is the second outing for IMSA's Prototype Lites and GT3 Cup Series at Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake City. This is an pretty amazing venue designed by Alan Wilson (Yes, Calabogie Motorsport Park's Designer). Also on the same schedule is SCCA's World Challenge, Pirelli Cup, F2000 and NASCAR's Pro Series West.

Just a short drive from there are the Bonneville Salt Flats. I used a spare day a couple of years ago to drive out to see it. It happened that there was a speed week going on and there was everything from a blown '56 Ford to Studebakers to needle nose slingshot looking weapons to just about everything in between. Quite something to see and experience!!

Great museum at the Miller track featuring Ford products. GT40's that ran at LeMans, Mustangs, all sorts of unusual and uncommon stuff - about 100 cars in total.

Should be a fun weekend! I'll keep you updated as it unfolds!!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Re: Miller Motorsport Park

Just checking the weather forecast for SLC next week and it is showing a real temperature drop towards the weekend. Last year, right about this time when we were last there, the qualifying session on Saturday afternoon had to be scrubbed as we lost line of sight between the marshal stations due to a whiteout condition snow storm!!

The next morning, at the hotel in Salt Lake, we woke up to find a good 4-5 inches of snow on our cars. Forutnately, as we drove the 40 minutes or so to the track, the temperatures became warmer so that when we arrived we were happy to see that there was nothing on the ground!!! Whew!!!

Actually, I remember being at Mosport in the past right around this time of year and having to deal with snow issues as well!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydale View Post
Just checking the weather forecast for SLC next week and it is showing a real temperature drop towards the weekend. Last year, right about this time when we were last there, the qualifying session on Saturday afternoon had to be scrubbed as we lost line of sight between the marshal stations due to a whiteout condition snow storm!!

The next morning, at the hotel in Salt Lake, we woke up to find a good 4-5 inches of snow on our cars. Forutnately, as we drove the 40 minutes or so to the track, the temperatures became warmer so that when we arrived we were happy to see that there was nothing on the ground!!! Whew!!!

Actually, I remember being at Mosport in the past right around this time of year and having to deal with snow issues as well!!!
Yep, I remember the snow at Mosport..it was a BARC event...Sat. was sunny and chilly..woke up Sunday am..everything covered with snow, caused a lot of damage with canopy's etc...we left the track at 10am..got 10 minutes down the road..no snow. LOL

Oops. the reason I came on here was to ask..Is the Barber Race on TV.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Unfortunately not. When we are at the same event as ALMS, then we get a line cut and have a highlight spot on the ALMS broadcast. As this is a free-standing event without ALMS, we will not have that. You will probably see some TV coverage of the World Challenge as they are also there and that will likely be televised.

The good news is that you can see both the Lites and GT3 Cup Series LIVE at Mosport July 20 + 21. Plus you can see the GT3 Cup Canada Series LIVE at Mosport May 19 + 20 and both the US and Canadian Cup LIVE at Montreal June 9-10. The Canadian Cup Series is also LIVE at Tremblant July 5-6 and at Calabogie August 10-13.

Check out the web site at <www.imsaracing.net> for more details. Thanx for asking!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Well, so far so good out here! It isn't raining and we have cars on track!

Should be a great weekend!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Dry day - even some sunshine!! And they are calling for dry, although cooler, weather the rest of the week. All good! Let's go racin'!!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Hey, I'm here in SLC with the Compass 360 team running World Challenge, today was great! Real windy, but nice temp.
Pouring rain tonight, hope it doesnt stay this way for tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Awesome!! Canadians are taking over!!

(Remember, this year is the 200th Anniversary of that 1812 Thingy!!!)

I'll try to hook up with you at some point!!

Enjoy this Friday sunshine and good weather - although a bit crispy (40 degrees this morning)!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydale View Post
... (Remember, this year is the 200th Anniversary of that 1812 Thingy!!!) ...
"Press on, York Volunteers!"

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM

What a great way to spend a day!! At a race track - that's a good thing! Surrounded by huge snow-capped mountains on all sides! 70 degrees and sunny!! Cars racing and having a great time! No issues, arguments or complaints from anyone after 4 - 45 minute races! All good!