CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > General Interest > Motorsport News NON CASC-OR Sanctioned Events & Series

Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Tudor USC Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Race

Entry List just released for the Tudor USC Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Race January 25th.

http://www.imsa.com/races/rolex-24-daytona

67 entries! 4 classes! Its definitely going to be one of the best in years!!!

Last edited by terrydale; 01-15-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

Tudor USC Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Race

Some of the Canadians signed up for rides this year:

Michael Vallante - P; Kyle Marcelli, Mark Wilkins - LMPC; Kuno Wittmer, Paul Dala Lana - GTLM; J-F Dumoulin, John Farano, D. Empringham, Max Riddle - GTD. Plus there are still a lot of drivers TBD right now
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Re: Tudor USC Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona Race

Here is a short video Magnus racing made for the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Wjw...layer_embedded
Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 AM

No question of it being a hugely challenging transitional year.

Actually, the bulk of the changes have been on the Grand Am DP cars with added power, stronger braking and more downforce while the P2 cars have remained virtually untouched. Personally, I am pretty sure what the feedback would have been if the P2 cars had been made slower to more closely match the speeds of the DP car instead of focusing on speeding up the DP cars.

This year is all about getting 2 ten pound bags of 'stuff' to fit into 1 ten pound bag of 'stuff'. That includes cars, teams, tracks, officials and on and on. There will be fall-out, tears, angst and lots of feedback describing how it should be done. The reality is that the focus is on 2015 and that it is the best thing for sportscar racing. There were over 60 cars testing at Daytona and over 60 taking the Green Flag this Saturday. Its been a very long time since we have seen those numbers or the number of people jammed into the infield during the test let alone the race.

Better TV, better marketing, better racing. All good!

Here is a link describing it a bit more:

http://www.racer.com/pruett-warning-...rticle/330035/
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM

In fact, the people screaming loudest are the DP car owners who are scrabbling to come up with the several hundred thousand dollars needed to meet the new rules - all intended to speed up the DP's to get closer to the P2 times.

There are well over 75 DP cars out there, not nearly so many P2 cars. It would have been a whole lot easier to have focused on keeping the DP car owners happy and not worried about what a relative handful of P2 car owners felt. The fact that they have been working on speeding the DP's up, not slowing the P2's down has to be seen as a good thing. Besides, as noted elsewhere, race fans would have had a field day trashing TUSCC if the result of the blending of the two groups had resulted in the dumbing down of the technologically far more advanced P2 cars.

2014 is a transitional year without question. Blips? Been tons already, more to come. But generally speaking and after looking at the times from The Roar, its pretty close.

Remember, its a 24 Hour Race. We finished 5th overall in this 24 hour race in a GT2 Porsche just by hanging in there, great pit stops and quality drivers.

Last edited by terrydale; 01-19-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Hi Terry - there's a *small* chance I'll be able to sneak up to Daytona on Sunday (need to be in Ft. Lauderdale first thing Monday).
Any tips for the Daytona first timer? Is sleeping in rental cars frowned upon?
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do <more than> their normal job of steering ... is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling. Penguins. While making love. To a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." - J.C.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
Hi Terry - there's a *small* chance I'll be able to sneak up to Daytona on Sunday (need to be in Ft. Lauderdale first thing Monday). Any tips for the Daytona first timer? Is sleeping in rental cars frowned upon?
My understanding is that the infield is booked solid so that would mean that even getting a car into the infield might not be an option.

Plus there is a huge construction project underway on the outside that has taken up a good third of the parking availability there so that might not work well either.

And, not to be Mr. Negative, BUT it is going to be mid 30F every evening which means it'll be very frosty in a car overnight.

Now, having said that, and knowing how creative motorsport folk can be.......there is always a way!!

Assuming that you will be getting a general admission ticket? That will allow you access to all sorts of neat places. Lots to do and see in the infield. They have usually had no restriction on grandstand access which you need to spend some time in for night practice.

I am not sure of my schedule but give me a shout when you get on site. Also look for John Bondar's motorhome and Robin Doiron who are set up in the infield somewhere.

Have fun, enjoy. There are no bad places to be at this track. First time, 10th time.....its always a pretty special place to be!!

Remember, the Checkered Flag drops at 2:10 PM Sunday.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Thanks so much for the advice Terry! If I make it at all, I likely won't roll into Daytona until 4 or 5am on Sunday at best...we'll see what I can finagle...
"Asking the front wheels of a car to do <more than> their normal job of steering ... is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling. Penguins. While making love. To a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." - J.C.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice Terry! If I make it at all, I likely won't roll into Daytona until 4 or 5am on Sunday at best...we'll see what I can finagle...
You'd have better luck figuring out away in after the Checkered Flag has dropped and people are staring to pack up. Having said that, Daytona is well known for its enthusiastic security staff!!

You'll see lots of Canadians - this is the traditional start to the season and everyone looks for an excuse to get somewhere warmer than where they live!! You literally see everyone in racing and from all disciplines here!

Keep me in mind when you get close! Not sure if we can connect but sure will if possible.

Safe travels!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Terry I've PM'd you my email and contact info. If you're not busy early Sunday, coffee's on me!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Terry I've PM'd you my email and contact info. If you're not busy early Sunday, coffee's on me!
Done and done!!! Cya then!!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:02 AM

One of the best views in racing - from the 6th floor Race Control at Daytona!
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Soooooooo Terry.... any comments on that penalty against the 458 on the final lap?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Statement by Scot Elkins, IMSA vice president, competition and technical regulations

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 26, 2014) A full post-race review of the incident on the last lap of the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona was completed by IMSA Supervisory Officials. The decision has been made to reverse the decision by the race director, rescind the penalty against the No. 555 Level 5 Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia team, and reinstate drivers Scott Tucker, Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, Jeff Segal and Alessandro Pier Giuidi as the GT Daytona class winners. We regret the confusion following the race, and appreciate the patience by our fans, drivers, teams and the media so we could properly review and subsequently report this decision

Contacts:
David Hart
Director, IMSA Communications
(386) 310-6550
Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 PM

I'd still like to hear your thoughts on why the penalty was even assessed to begin with.