CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 12-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Brake Pads

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to coming out to as many OTA events as I can next year with my recently purchased E46 Track Car.

I'm just wondering what would be the best pads to make in through an OTA event day and still be able to drive to and from the track. I was out to TMP in the fall and brake fade and fallout was brutal.

I occasionally drive the car on the street however I can live with noise and dust, I just want to be able to stop.

I have the Hawk HP Plus within reach but before I purchase I thought I would ask!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Re: Brake Pads

I think most go to at least a DCT-30 for the track. And a good high temp fluid to go along with it.

I think the HP+ is more for street or autocross.
'11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.
www.aircombatzone.com
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 PM

I've used HP Plus and they're good but you need at least this level. Can be used street & track. I've also used HT 10. Very good for track in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 PM

I would recommend the Carbotech / G-Loc brand of brake pads. You're likely a XP10 pad candidate.

http://www.g-locbrakes.com/

http://www.ctbrakes.com/

Both of these brand pads are effectively the same, last a decent amount of time and will survive the beating without ripping up your rotors too bad. They're what I would recommend for someone starting off.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM

G-Loc R10 or R12 which is essentially the same as the Carbotech

I have run XP/R10 on the street, as well as XP/R12.. Given the weight of the BMW the R12 is probably your best bet, I went through two sets of 12's on factory Honda Rotors..

Depending on the amount of track time and street driving you will likely get the season out of them..

If bedded in properly there is very little noise from an R12, driving them on the street in colder temps will eventually remove the transfer layer, which is what causes the noise! Extreme cold temps they are a little dicey, so be careful to warm them up

Frank Ewald - Ewald Performance does a group order every year, do a google search or find him on FB he is excellent source for G-Loc pads.. The fastest Time Attack cars in Canada are running these pads.. James Houghton and Chris Boersma

Hope this helps!!

Grant
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Try Raybestos ST43. They are more expensive than the G/loc Carbotechs but last longer and IMO have better pedal feel.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM

If you're willing to swap pads, get Performance Friction PF01, and never look back. Same pads front and rear. They are more expensive, but they will work, 100% every time, and you will never have fade from the pads.

The PF08 (longer life) actually very decent pad life, and almost as much bit as the PF01. They can be streetable as well, though I would not daily drive them, and they need warm-up time.
8legs Racing, CTCC #77
http://www.8legsRacing.com
Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 PM

If you want to make an informed decision on brake fluid, following this link:

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ow=1&SF=4&ST=2

or just install Castrol SRF and watch those who haven't bleeding their brakes at the track.
Jud - OTA#47
'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.' Browne & Frey
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Exclamation Re: Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
If you want to make an informed decision on brake fluid, following this link:

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ow=1&SF=4&ST=2

or just install Castrol SRF and watch those who haven't bleeding their brakes at the track.
Install SRF (or any seal-swelling silicone-based fluid, for that matter) if you plan to rebuild your calipers at least once a season and need those last couple dozen degrees of heat resistance. If not, then stick with a 'conventional' non-silicone (i.e. glycol) based brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or RBF600, or (if you really want the stiffest possible pedal feel and don't much care for availability) Endless RBF650.

Don't just take my word for it. http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-fluid.asp
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Scala View Post
Install SRF (or any seal-swelling silicone-based fluid, for that matter) if you plan to rebuild your calipers at least once a season and need those last couple dozen degrees of heat resistance. If not, then stick with a 'conventional' non-silicone (i.e. glycol) based brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or RBF600, or (if you really want the stiffest possible pedal feel and don't much care for availability) Endless RBF650.

SRF is not silicone based ... it's DOT4, not DOT5, and it works 100% of the time, and never fails. Period. I would never go back ... we used it in all our cars, and had zero issues with fluid. Bleed the brakes a coulpe times a season ... maybe. Gonna have to disagree without your sources on this on, Steven
8legs Racing, CTCC #77
http://www.8legsRacing.com

Last edited by ScotcH; 12-11-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 PM

Been running SRF the last two season, it is expensive but definitely the best brake fluid available!

I will likely be running the Millers stuff in 2018

Grant
Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Scala View Post

SRF in not a silicone based fluid, it is a synthetic based brake fluid. Having to rebuild your calipers once a season is a falsehood.
Jud - OTA#47
'Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.' Browne & Frey

Last edited by Brutus; 12-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
SRF in not a silicone based fluid, it is a synthetic based brake fluid. Having to rebuild your calipers once a season is a falsehood.
Agreed. Our(Pfaff Motorsports) GT3 Cup car was using PFC calipers and SRF fluid with no issues with internals last season. We rebuilt the calipers at the start of the season and watched wear closely but did not have to rebuild once. We did however bleed the brakes every 2-4 sessions, especially on the street circuits!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM

I'll re-check my sources. Thanks guys!