CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM

Question Stainless Steel Brake hoses

Hi everyone,

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on Stainless Steel braided brake hoses these days. Every car I've ever seriously tracked had SS hoses. It just seemed like a reasonably cheap way to enhance the odds of your brakes working at the end of a straight. However, it seems to me a lot of people are forgoing this relatively cheap/easy mod recently. Is it that factory hoses are better quality and we're seeing fewer failures? Are aftermarket SS hose failure rate increasing? Is it just not worth it to people anymore? I haven't been consistently at the track for quite a few years now, so I'm curious what people are saying these days....
Mobil 1 Time Attack - #96
Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Re: Stainless Steel Brake hoses

Stop tech, goodridge and a few others make good lines!
People say pedal feels better, I couldn't tell the difference!

No corrosion and more durable than Oem rubber.

If you inspect regularly you will be fine!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 AM

Depends on the car make, the OEM hoses aren't really THAT bad. Stainless steel hoses are one of those stereotypical marketing successes. Yes, some cars had barely adequate lines from the factory but most aren't that bad. They're more a function that the hoses were old to begin with than SS hoses being that much better.

I still suggest changing your hoses if you can't remember or don't know when they were last done. We engage in activities that are pretty hard on the brakes.

Case and point: my stock S2000 lines are VERY well reinforced from the factory. If you cut one apart, they are actually braided hoses coated with rubber which makes them EVEN better than anything aftermarket which are typically just SS braided lines.

TLDR version: replace hoses if you don't know when they were last done.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM

I stood on the brakes very hard in a fairly heavy car (Mustang) so I used quality SS brake lines and even changed them periodically. Nice to always know the brakes are there when you need them most.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Upgraded the rear hoses on my FWD FIAT to stainless and left the fronts OEM. Definite increase in rear response to initial pedal input, with rearward bias migration at more extreme pedal pressures. Turn-in understeer is definitely not a problem.

YMMV with relative hose lengths, etc.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Put a caliper (measuring, not brake), on the line, have a friend stand on the pedal as hard as they can, watch how they don't swell.

Exterior braid is for looks. When I start seeing exterior braids on the 3,900psi hoses we use on heavy equipment, I'll change my mind

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
Put a caliper (measuring, not brake), on the line, have a friend stand on the pedal as hard as they can, watch how they don't swell.

Exterior braid is for looks. When I start seeing exterior braids on the 3,900psi hoses we use on heavy equipment, I'll change my mind
Heh.

As for OP, watch this to lead more into your investigation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiPDAr9f8
Old 11-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Ooh, some scienceing!

So once you've done this, divide the hose's surface area by the surface area of the measuring caliper's contact surface, and multiply this figure by the number of dollars you've saved on a relatively insensitive Princess Auto caliper, divided by the cost of the beers required to get your buddy to do the experiment, times an arbitrary constant for 'feel' that isn't a factor on heavy equipment...

But yeah, measuring an area of less than 3 or 4 square mm on a hose that's up to a foot long: so much science.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Long story short OP: just check your lines and do your empirical research.

Meanwhile, I'll grab my popcorn and sit back and watch this thread.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Less sciencey then:

Brake hoses are braided regardless (at least the one's I've seen are, cut open your OE one and look, assuming you're done with it!): Braid on the outside does nothing but be shiny.

Edit: That being said, peace of mind has value. If it makes you feel good, do it. Just regularly inspect the braids for damage and/or buy ones that have a clear plastic hose over the braids. You get some damage to the braids and they turn into a chainsaw against the rubber below. There are folks on here that can tell you what happens at the bottom of 4 into 5 at CTMP when this occurs...

Citizen Cone Dodger

Last edited by Saj5DJ; 11-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Less sciencey then:

Brake hoses are braided regardless (at least the one's I've seen are, cut open your OE one and look, assuming you're done with it!): Braid on the outside does nothing but be shiny.
And deflect rocks, flailing tools, etc. Never underestimate the mayhem potential of a weekend racer wielding sharp instruments.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Good info here:

http://www.lvmoc.net/forum/viewtopic...howtopic=66996

As stated in this thread, it would be interesting to see if there was a difference in feel when changing a brand new OEM line for an SS line. I'm guessing there wouldn't be much difference, but having said that I believe that an SS line is better performance wise, if only slightly. Unfortunately I do not have anymore facts to back up that claim other than what is listed in the link above, but as far as I know, all manufacture built race cars(and bikes) come with them installed. Formula1 I am unsure of but I would imagine so as they require a backup in case their brake by wire system fails. The point being that there is a reason they made this choice and its almost always performance based.

Great topic regardless!
Old 11-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Less sciencey then:

Edit: That being said, peace of mind has value. If it makes you feel good, do it. Just regularly inspect the braids for damage and/or buy ones that have a clear plastic hose over the braids. You get some damage to the braids and they turn into a chainsaw against the rubber below. There are folks on here that can tell you what happens at the bottom of 4 into 5 at CTMP when this occurs...
I still have my S2000 brake hoses (OEM) that I replaced this year. I am more than willing to do a video cutting them up if that helps.

Also agree with the external braid.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJus View Post
I still have my S2000 brake hoses (OEM) that I replaced this year. I am more than willing to do a video cutting them up if that helps.

Also agree with the external braid.
The link in my previous does this step by step but I am sure every manufacture is a little different.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
The link in my previous does this step by step but I am sure every manufacture is a little different.
Oh I know, I read through that post, I quite love it!

S2ki forums has someone do a similar thing as well which is what lead me to my understanding of lines for MY car.

Thought I highly doubt my daily winter beater has the same reinforcement... tempted to do a line swap just to see...