CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 AM

WIL: DDT Weekend

What I learned: Where to start?

1. Has to be a major thanks to everyone who helped me this weekend. it was heart warming for me to have a dozen or more people help tear down and load up the van plus push the stricken "8" onto the trailer for it's sad ride home. There are not enough ways to say thanks and I am very appreciative.

2. And it wasn't only me!!! Others got lots of help from their competitors / friends to stay on track. It has been said before but is worth repeating - OTA folks are not only fierce competitors but they are also caring and willing to pitch in to help at any time. Makes the series just that much better.

3. To keep it better, we need to tighten up on safety as a group. Having the unforced need to watch from the tower was illustrative in the extreme. We had a lot of off track excursions, poor passing decisions and fairly widespread aggressive driving, more than I can ever remember and at DDT it is possible to get away with these. DDT is the slowest average speed track we visit. All others especially the GP track will provide major problems with this approach. We will talk about this together at the next event.

4. Nobody, least of all me, wants to limit the achievement of speed by being over safety cautious. We are there to race and win, but in control with nobody hurt. We have a long and proud history of safe speed and we will maintain that. Nuf said.

5. Kudos to the many regular volunteers, Nic and Mael, Derrick and Lester, Ping and Farhan, Greg, Joe, Bryan and Muhtasim. It is outstanding that you are willing and able to help. Get your cars ready and get on track.

6. It goes without saying that OMSC is an awesome group of organizing wizards. Great weather, incident free action and tight timing make for more fun for everyone. We have already seen the same prowess from TAC and SPDA will show it's stuff at the GP weekend. Can't ask for more.

7. Are R888Rs better than RE-71Rs? I have used both and find them to be very, very similar for my driving style, On the stricken 8 the 71s lasted for 10 days in 2017 and still have 2 or 3 OTA days left in them.

8. Huge thanks also to the sponsors, Toyo shirts, jackets, free Mobil1 oil, Sleep Lab medallions are outstanding and obvious but every sponsor is greatly appreciated. Less obvious are the contributions of the other sponsors who fund the series and help us to control entry fees to the lowest possible price.

9. A very special shout out to Kevin Wong and team. Learning the timing system is not easy and it is even harder to use it to deal with things that go wrong on the fly. Working with Kevin yesterday in my unaccustomed clerking role demonstrated just how good of a grasp he has of the situation. OTA is in good hands with Kevin at the controls, for sure. It takes a lot to impress Perry and he is similarly convinced. Well done Kevin.

10. Registrar is a fun job and you get to meet and know a little bit about everyone. While it does take a bit of organization and prep time it can be very satisfying. We need as many people as possible to step forward to help out. Many hands make light work will apply here. Thanks for those who have offered to give it a try and we can still use a couple more people to step up.

11. You will never get a better deal for a fun day at the track than that offered by the Canadian Track Day Adventure. Everyone who has done it before had a great time and if possible will be back. You can join in but space is limited to 30 entries and there are already twenty one. You will not regret entering, it is more fun than farting, really. Enter now at http://msreg.com/CTDA18
had. Done now I are. What did you learn?
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
2018 OTA Registrar

Last edited by Gwoody27; 06-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Re: WIL: DDT Weekend

A great class of drivers this year, everyone is getting faster.

DDT is my favourite track

We have confirmed that the Type R is classed properly after letting Corey drive my car and be quicker during morning practice on Saturday!

A couple of siting laps would be beneficial, I couldn’t get my data logger to draw the track map out properly!

Federal Tires are slow

Fellow Competitors are turning into friends.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:31 PM

One loose screw in the throttle body made my Integra idling crazy. Thanks to fellow competitors, Brad , Chris and George I was able to fix it and put her back on track. Great group of people to be involved with.
Martin
PS Sorry for the smoke. I'm working on it.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 PM

1. Always, always, always listen to you better judgement and stay off track when you have an off.
2. Don’t go off track
3. Less aggressive driving = quicker times
4. Great group of participants and most importantly the organizers and volunteers.
5. Need more seat time at DDT

The Machado Group
Jon Machado - Realtor @ Large
Old 06-11-2018, 06:46 PM

1- This event is always run well thanks to a blend of experience, wisdom and great team play from gridding, tower/race control and us in timing. I love it.
2- The people that show up to these events are serious and true fans of the sport. So much so that when I cracked a driver's side front rotor, I was told to keep timing alive to keep everything smoothly and they would change my rotors for me. Folks, I almost wept at this offer. I never ask for anything and this chance of a recovery to get back in the action just restores my faith in humanity.
3- DDT is by far my favourite track in either configuration.
4- Eric Rier is stupid quick and I love chasing that Miata.
5- I need to stop seeing red mist and see white flags (sorry Dave!). Must be a habit from karting days.
6- GT3 is an amazing class. We're reaching well into GT2 times.
7- Losing by PAX sucks but at the same time... MUST... GO... FASTER...
8- I need a bucket seat really bad
GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
2018 OTA Chief Timer

Last edited by LemonJus; 06-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 PM

First of all, thanks to all the organizers, sponsors, volunteers and helpers!

1. I knew that before, but I really need to slow myself down sometimes. Overcooked T1 a few times and decided to go straight or across the grass rather than hit the curb/rut.
2. Elevation changes add another dimension to driving and with a series of high-speed corners make for some great fun.
3. After putting stickier tires on it is obvious I need some improvements in the suspension department...
4. Speaking of tires, can anyone tell me what the hell I did wrong? My right front tire looks horrible after just 2 events on the DDT. I kept the hot pressures between 34-39 and unfortunately have only 2 degrees of camber. Are these pressures way off? Them being worn out near the centre would indicate the pressures way too high? Is that just from overdriving it? Not heating it up enough before hotlapping? It is weird that the left one is looking much better (shown for comparison, both were brand new on Friday). I'm hoping I can learn something here and not ruin my tires too fast... The car was understeering way too much for my liking with the new tires, but I didn't know it was going to be this bad.

RIGHT FRONT (mid-outside worn out):

LEFT FRONT (mid-outside slightly worn out):
GT4 BMW 328i #105
Old 06-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwoody27 View Post

3. To keep it better, we need to tighten up on safety as a group. Having the unforced need to watch from the tower was illustrative in the extreme. We had a lot of off track excursions, poor passing decisions and fairly widespread aggressive driving, more than I can ever remember and at DDT it is possible to get away with these. DDT is the slowest average speed track we visit. All others especially the GP track will provide major problems with this approach. We will talk about this together at the next event.

4. Nobody, least of all me, wants to limit the achievement of speed by being over safety cautious. We are there to race and win, but in control with nobody hurt. We have a long and proud history of safe speed and we will maintain that. Nuf said.
Gary shows wisdom with these comments. If things go south, especially at the GP track, they go south very fast. Drive in control and keep competing.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 PM

R888Rs vs RE-71Rs:

To answer my own question from the WIL I now have data for my car on which I did a 99.9 in 2017 on the 71s and a 102.5 in 2018 with an engine that was about to expire. I am comparing the cornering and braking Gs (acceleration would be fake news)

Max Rt load: 71s = 1.83 888R= 1.62
Max Lt Load: 71s = 1.76 888Rs = 1.49
Max brake: 71s = 1.25 888Rs = 1.21

Avg Rt load: 71s = 0.26 888Rs = 0.25
Avg Lt load: 71s = 0.39 888Rs = 0.37
Avg brake: 71s = 0.138 888Rs = 0.122

On average very similar, At peak 71Rs have an advantage. I did not feel any significant difference in driving characteristics. Both had excellent turn in feel and gave signals at the limit. Both were catchable in a similar way. Even the friction circles are identical. Who knew.

For me even with discounts the 712 are $35 / tire less expensive. 255/40/17
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
2018 OTA Registrar
Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
R888Rs vs RE-71Rs:

To answer my own question from the WIL I now have data for my car on which I did a 99.9 in 2017 on the 71s and a 102.5 in 2018 with an engine that was about to expire. I am comparing the cornering and braking Gs (acceleration would be fake news)

Max Rt load: 71s = 1.83 888R= 1.62
Max Lt Load: 71s = 1.76 888Rs = 1.49
Max brake: 71s = 1.25 888Rs = 1.21

Avg Rt load: 71s = 0.26 888Rs = 0.25
Avg Lt load: 71s = 0.39 888Rs = 0.37
Avg brake: 71s = 0.138 888Rs = 0.122

On average very similar, At peak 71Rs have an advantage. I did not feel any significant difference in driving characteristics. Both had excellent turn in feel and gave signals at the limit. Both were catchable in a similar way. Even the friction circles are identical. Who knew.

For me even with discounts the 712 are $35 / tire less expensive. 255/40/17
But I think the R888Rs will last longer though no? I was 'forced' to go RE71Rs as my RS4s could not get to me in time.
GT3 / STR / C-Stock Plus Honda S2000 #111
2018 OTA Chief Timer
Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 PM

1. Fellow competitors are always willing to help each other out in the paddock, even if they are competing directly in the same class (thanks Adam).

2. In contrast to 1., everyone is fighting for that last 0.1 (or in my case, even that last 0.05) to win. This forces you to be a better driver.

3. You can't be lazy with your analytics off track and expect to be competitive. The "I'll just drive better in the next heat" mentality has its limits. You need to find a way to reduce your lap time and bring attention to every minute detail.

4. Going to a new track is humbling yet exciting.

5. I am glad I signed up for OTA. The level of organization and passion demonstrated is what made me know I made the right decision.

6. Strangers who love the sport don't feel like strangers at all.

7. OTA competitors like McDonald's.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 AM

#1: If you had told me at the beginning of the weekend that I would break a part on that i hadn't broken in the last 14 years, I might have had a dubious expression on my face.

#2: When your transmission sounds like a Vitamix blender making a frozen Margarita, you can't get "Margaritaville" out of your head for the rest of the weekend.

#3: Although I find driving the new DDT a little tight and frustrating at times, it does beat walking around the paddock.

#4: Great camaraderie... thanks for the offers of help.

#5: Now I really want to do well at MIR... but I'm the Organizer of record. Anyone want to organize GP track?

Pawel, what size Tire and what was the wheel width?
Looks like it might be a combination of not listening to understeer and a narrow wheel.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: SGT1 ! -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM

#1. As always, had a great time with a great group of people who were very helpful in getting my quasi-functional (non-self-starting, second-gear-mangling, non-reversing, non-fan-cooled) car to the grid for each run, and always interesting to talk with and learn from.

#2. Thanks to the efforts of many volunteers, who in many cases gave up their own running time, the event ran efficiently and smoothly on both days. I probably take this too much for granted after being through it many times, but it really is pretty amazing.

#3. I am so happy with the new tires, that are now in an appropriate size split for my car (60% rear weight and RWD means a BIG split). Even though 888Rs aren't the grippiest tires in the world, they're well-made, durable and come in a vast range of sizes - thanks Toyo!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:19 PM

Not a WIL per se, but observations.

1) Two sunny days at Mosport in a row? Incredible.
2) So much time spent by volunteers that keeps this series running. Much appreciated.
3) Staying for the drivers meeting is rewarding. 2 free bottles of oil after 3 events.
4) Data acquisition works, especially if you find another driver with the same lap timer (Aim Solo) and similar times and car. Thanks Ron Billings for the discussion. Ron saved 2 seconds after analysis and I saved more than 1 second avoiding a shift.

Any interest in setting up a depository of Aim Solo data? Maybe a google drive, or just a post with attachments?

My videos from the weekend:

Saturday
Improved my time from last year by 1.3 seconds which means I'm under the magical 100sec mark. Actually I'm under 99sec, so very happy with results.
I could probably improve a little more by not shifting on the front straight and instead bouncing off the limiter. Data acquisition helped, as did talking with fellow competitors about shift points, etc.
https://youtu.be/1uQ1Tbks158
PS with a special appearance by Neil Harrison in the infield

Sunday
Improved my time from last year by 2.3 seconds so very happy with results. Still could have more commitment on the run up the west "straight". Other areas of improvement could be carrying more speed through chicane before the front straight, and the chicane after the front straight.
https://youtu.be/O2qye28qt-Q
'11 Red STI #373

Keep right except to pass.
www.aircombatzone.com

Last edited by dubya_rx; 06-13-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJus View Post
But I think the R888Rs will last longer though no? I was 'forced' to go RE71Rs as my RS4s could not get to me in time.
Dont be fooled by tread wear alone. R comp tires will fall off quickly once they reach say 25 to 35 heat cycles even if there is tread left. My 71s lasted for 6 events + 5 hard lapping days and still have 2 or 3 events left with no heat cycle falloff. My car and I weigh 3100 lbs. I dont expect the 888 to be good for that long.
GT2 Mazda RX-8 #52
2018 OTA Registrar
Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Dont be fooled by tread wear alone. R comp tires will fall off quickly once they reach say 25 to 35 heat cycles even if there is tread left. My 71s lasted for 6 events + 5 hard lapping days and still have 2 or 3 events left with no heat cycle falloff. My car and I weigh 3100 lbs. I dont expect the 888 to be good for that long.
I think I will try a set, I wonder how they like being undersized and overpowered.