CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 AM

*** important car classification changes for event #1 *** please read now!!!

While you weren't looking, some things have changed in the rules that you may not have noticed.

Printed 2009 CCDB Declaration Available from Competitors at ALL Events:
Read 1.6.7. Competitors are responsible for carrying their own printed classification declarations at every event!! It must be a re-submission for 2009. If you can not produce your declaration to an event official or a fellow competitor, you will be scored in modified for that day. If you have not submitted your 2009 classification yet, you should do so IMMEDIATELY! 2008 Classifications are no longer valid!

Aftermarket Belts / Harnesses:
Read 1.1.7 if you're not using your OE or DOT approved belts! SoloSprint is now enforcing the expiration dates!!!

Rollbar Padding:
Read 1.3.8 if you have roll-over protection! You are required to use FIA or SFI certified roll bar padding for areas that your helmet might come into contact with the bars.

Dyno Plot Submissions
If you wish for your dyno plot to be accepted at the DDT, please SUBMIT your CCDB classification 1 week in advance. A separate post will provide a work-around for the changes in 5.0.H.9 and 5.0.H.10 until the CCDB can be updated.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA CCC Member
Autoslalom STZ or XP: #2 -=- OTA: MOD2 -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Re: *** important car classification changes for event #1 *** please read now!!!

"Aftermarket Belts / Harnesses:
Read 1.1.7 if you're not using your OE or DOT approved belts! SoloSprint is now enforcing the expiration dates!!!"

so we cant run without current belts?

winner of a bunch of different classes over many years

breaker of parts, burner of engines

CREATOR OF "ULTIMATE DOOM 570SX"

www.turbo240sx.ca
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Re: *** important car classification changes for event #1 *** please read now!!!

That is the rule.

If you bribe the Scrutineers with home-baked goods at the DDT you might get some leniency. I doubt you will find any at Shannonville regardless of how good the fudge brownies are.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 AM

that kinda adds an unnecessary added cost to our sport no?

are we using the FIA or SFI rules?

its gonna make more people run with thier "safe" OEM belts vs "dangerous" expired race harness no?

does anyone really think that these expiry dates on belts make any sense?

one strap from a harness could lift up a car let alone 5 of them..

unless a rat has chewed thru them..

why would you not leave this to the descretion of the competitor?

our series safety rules are designed that way anyway..where the onus is on the competitor deciding if thier car is safe or not...VS the series deciding

www.turbo240sx.ca
Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 AM

hmmm...I guess with the other rule ..that this really only effects caged cars..

so the OEM issue is moot

www.turbo240sx.ca
Old 05-15-2009, 09:28 AM

blame FIA, and the weird insurance mechanics.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

yeah well reality and insurance are 2 vastly different things

www.turbo240sx.ca
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM

So......could you run an expired harness over an OEM seatbelt?

no roll bar = no harness for me anyway, curious non-the-less.
#168 GT1-R :)
movin' up in the world
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Adam, the belt rule change does not affect the majority of the competitors who choose to use OEM safety equipment. It only affects those who have decided to abandon OEM tested safety systems and install aftermarket equipment.

Most of us have seen this coming since the ASN Canada lapping regulations were introduced in 2007 and have required valid FIA or SFI belts. Why should Solo competition have lower standards than lapping rules?

There wil be a bulletin coming from ASN Canada addressing safety equipment (cages, harnesses, H&N restraints, belts, seats, etc.) that will further affect our rules but I can't tell you when that will arrive, nor when it will take effect. It might come this year... might not. If you are building a cage now, get it logbooked FAST.

I am NOT involved in its development of this bulletin and can't tell you what it will entail. However, the use of valid FIA homologated belts will be accepted. That would be what I would purchase today if I had to make the choice.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
If you can not produce your declaration to an event official or a fellow competitor, you will be scored in modified for that day.
Wooohooo a full class in Mod!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM

I agree that this is an unnecessary added expense for a solo series. Personally, I'm good for the next 2 years using the "5 year rule" as stated but not everyone will be so lucky. A 5 point, even if not in the best condition, will still be better than a cheesy OEM 3 point IMO.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
I agree that this is an unnecessary added expense for a solo series. Personally, I'm good for the next 2 years using the "5 year rule" as stated but not everyone will be so lucky. A 5 point, even if not in the best condition, will still be better than a cheesy OEM 3 point IMO.
Please keep in mind that SFI 16.1 belts expire two years after manufacture. Thus, the "five year" aspect doesn't apply to SFI 16.1 or 16.5 certified belts. FIA homologated belts are five years.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneG View Post
So......could you run an expired harness over an OEM seatbelt?
Assuming that you don't have a deep race bucket that would prevent the OEM three point from sitting tightly across your lap and shoulder, I don't see a reason why the scrutineers would not allow this. But, it's always best to Email the Chief Scrutineer if in doubt.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM

"Adam, the belt rule change does not affect the majority of the competitors who choose to use OEM safety equipment. It only affects those who have decided to abandon OEM tested safety systems and install aftermarket equipment."

so on one hand we allow competitors to remove the OEM safety systems ...like say..the whole bumper system to save weight.....

or allowing oem cars to run around highly modified without any sort of crash protection...

or for that matter mandating roll over protection?

yet are worried about a aftermarket 5 point harness somehow disintigrating after 5 years?

seems a slightly silly line of thinking IMO

www.turbo240sx.ca
Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM

So bought a road racers' expired belts so I could have added safety in my car and now they are garbage... I was hoping that I could squeeze enough money out of the budget to take my car out at least once this year, but an extra few hundred dollars scraps that plan. This rule is crap. So much for budget racing.