CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Re: Official Results Thread - Events 2 & 3

While out marshalling I was thinking about all the good things SCCA does for the marshall stations and the main things are:

- cones are numbered
- each station has a map indicating which cones are their responsibility and cone numbers
- each station has a sheet for each run to mark down car#, class, cone#'s or zero/clear
- one marshall writes, one does the radio, one or two shag cones
- cooler with ice and water at each station

The problem with Picton is that it's spread out so any marshall change takes time. It could be sped up if everybody is pre-assigned to a station which requires everybody to be pre-registered and pre-paid so you know who is going to show up. Any walk-ins are bonus bodies to use. Even then, it still takes time to move bodies around.

It is great to have large turn-out for the Provincials and I think, overall, the two days were tons of fun, driving and socially!!

Next time should be even better!

Thanks for crunching the numbers Cliff!! I could've sworn I did better also...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I remember a car in my class(FSP) who ran along with the first group, not sure why. Anyways, as I watched from the sidelines since I was not needed for marshalling, he DNFed in the same spot twice in a row. He just so happened to be pitting next to me so I felt I would be a good sport and let him know where he was missing the gate. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, I would hope someone would point it out to me as well

Cliff, you have PM

Last edited by 3wheeler; 06-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM

I watched some videos of clean runs and I swear I didn't go of course on the final run on day 2. Oh well there is alsway next event. Still the most fun I have had at a auto slalom
www.wosca.com
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 PM

The results have been updated, some small corrections made. Overall and class points are now posted.

Check them out here: http://solo2.casc.on.ca/events/2010results.php
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober99 View Post
HS is going to be a fight to the end!
Let's make it a nail biter. Looking forward to it!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober99 View Post
Is it possible Marshals were handing out DNFs for going a different way through the 2 way slalom on day 2? It was a 2 way slalom was it not? Seams like a lot of DNFs for a relatively straight forward course.
A newb was frustrated as he was going off but didn't know where, I was at the stop box with a radio when he came in with his second or third DNF, I called to see where he went off and it turned out he hadn't even done the second slalom, just passed right by it.

Obviously we cannot tie up the airwaves calling in everytime, but if timing could take note of which marshalling station called in the off-course we can at least inform the driver at the stop box of where they are having problems.

A guy at the stop box with a notepad simply recording who went off and which station would work.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Ouch. On Sunday 1 cone lost me 2 positions in my class.
2014 BRZ STX #109
Red ones go faster
Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13inches View Post
A piece of paper and a pen at each post with one person recording all of the calls would be a simple solution to that problem. The SCCA has done it for years.

I think we tried it at the 2006 Canadian Nationals and it worked pretty well.
This was done at Picton in 2009. It doesn't really help. By the time said paper was in and recorded the event is declared official and it's too late to protest. The issue is that when you finish your run you have no idea if you got a penalty until the results are posted. Worse yet even if you did know you had a penalty there is no way for you to know where. On a parking lot people can point to what you did wrong. At Picton or the DDT the only thing you can do is hope that the timers were paying attention to the station number and hope they have the patience to repeat that information then do what Trung did. It's a big venue problem, not a data logging problem. The issue is that from no spectator area can you see the majority of the course.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur911 View Post
A newb was frustrated as he was going off but didn't know where, I was at the stop box with a radio when he came in with his second or third DNF, I called to see where he went off and it turned out he hadn't even done the second slalom, just passed right by it.
The solution is as simple as asking the organisers to suggest an experience person to ride-along.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM

but the problem is most people not KNOWING where they went off until mid day, perfecting a line that is actually wrong..

on Saturday, being so paranoid from my first event at the DDT, i would run to timing after every run to check up if i made any mistakes.

but i would assume timing would get rather crowded if everyone started doing that..

Last edited by thgear; 06-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
This was done at Picton in 2009. It doesn't really help. By the time said paper was in and recorded the event is declared official and it's too late to protest. The issue is that when you finish your run you have no idea if you got a penalty until the results are posted. Worse yet even if you did know you had a penalty there is no way for you to know where. On a parking lot people can point to what you did wrong. At Picton or the DDT the only thing you can do is hope that the timers were paying attention to the station number and hope they have the patience to repeat that information then do what Trung did. It's a big venue problem, not a data logging problem. The issue is that from no spectator area can you see the majority of the course.

That's why I went to each station, and it had to be the furthest away!

FiST
Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 PM

on day 2 a lot of people were going off at ths middle runway, after the psweeper, and before the two doglegs leading into the ladder.

the setup was 2 gatesbut made with 2 extra cones on the right to keep people away from the marshal station. unfortunately, people mistook these 2 gates as a slalom.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Day 1 was the same story there. I marshalled there and we called it in with a suggestion to contact the drivers, but easier said than done with so many folks I guess.

I'd already had my first set of runs and spent the entire super long marshalling stint convinced I'd made the same error. Fortunately for me I hadn't. Unfortunately for the Mod/ST guys they never had the chance to find out.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM

At the MCO events, they often have someone on a microphone calling out times and if someone was off course or how many cones they hit.

It allows the driver to know right away if they hit a cone and if they were o/c.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Can drivers carry a radio that's tuned to the same channel? Securely mounted of course.

The chatter would be distracting but if one REALLY wants to know...

Tags
2010, autoslalom, autox, picton, results