CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 02-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Car Classification Questions

Hi everyone! I'm going to be competing in OTA this year, but since it's my first year I have a couple questions regarding classification for my car. It's a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protégé.

First question: I’ve replaced all the engine intake piping from the stock plastic to aluminum as a durability upgrade (stock plastic ones are prone to cracking and leaking). Mass airflow sensor and intercooler are OEM and are still mounted in the stock locations, and the intake piping before the turbocharger is an authorized modification from my understanding of the rules. However I can’t find anything specifically about the piping from the turbo to the throttle body. Do I need to claim a PIP for the change (possibly 5.0.A.1)?

Second question: I’ve replaced the pistons (Wiseco) and connecting rods (K1 Technologies H-Beam) with forged parts. The pistons are 0.040” overbore, which I understand to be an authorized modification. They are a different design which results in an altered compression, and I will be claiming the PIPs accordingly (5.0.F.1). As for the connecting rods, they are the stock length/stroke, and the crankshaft is stock. They weigh very similar to the stock units as well. I can’t find anything specifically in the rules allowing or disallowing connecting rod replacement in this way. Do I need to claim PIPs for this change (possibly 5.0.F.3)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 PM

Re: Car Classification Questions

Hey, I'm not über qualified to answer but I'm willing to lend my interpretation for what it's worth. For both situations I do not think you need to claim any PIP's, as they are just replacing OEM functionality and are not performance related as far as the rules are concerned. Horsepower, weight, aero and handling are the main metrics used to evaluate a cars potential, not reliability mods like yours.

Also, when you submit your schedule someone from the car classification committee will likely contact you. You can always mention these mods then if you have any doubts.

Cheers!
OTA - GT2 Mazda Miata #79
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb29 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm going to be competing in OTA this year, but since it's my first year I have a couple questions regarding classification for my car. It's a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protégé.

First question: I’ve replaced all the engine intake piping from the stock plastic to aluminum as a durability upgrade (stock plastic ones are prone to cracking and leaking). Mass airflow sensor and intercooler are OEM and are still mounted in the stock locations, and the intake piping before the turbocharger is an authorized modification from my understanding of the rules. However I can’t find anything specifically about the piping from the turbo to the throttle body. Do I need to claim a PIP for the change (possibly 5.0.A.1)?

Second question: I’ve replaced the pistons (Wiseco) and connecting rods (K1 Technologies H-Beam) with forged parts. The pistons are 0.040” overbore, which I understand to be an authorized modification. They are a different design which results in an altered compression, and I will be claiming the PIPs accordingly (5.0.F.1). As for the connecting rods, they are the stock length/stroke, and the crankshaft is stock. They weigh very similar to the stock units as well. I can’t find anything specifically in the rules allowing or disallowing connecting rod replacement in this way. Do I need to claim PIPs for this change (possibly 5.0.F.3)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
First q: NO PIPs need to be claimed since the piping is before the throttle body.
2nd q: 5.0.F.3 does not apply IF the stroke remains the same as stock, which appears to be the case.

What power are you making with your bored out cylinders and, I'm assuming bigger turbo?
CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen
Old 02-17-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightcien View Post
Hey, I'm not über qualified to answer but I'm willing to lend my interpretation for what it's worth. For both situations I do not think you need to claim any PIP's, as they are just replacing OEM functionality and are not performance related as far as the rules are concerned. Horsepower, weight, aero and handling are the main metrics used to evaluate a cars potential, not reliability mods like yours.

Also, when you submit your schedule someone from the car classification committee will likely contact you. You can always mention these mods then if you have any doubts.

Cheers!
Thank you very much! I definitely appreciate the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
First q: NO PIPs need to be claimed since the piping is before the throttle body.
2nd q: 5.0.F.3 does not apply IF the stroke remains the same as stock, which appears to be the case.

What power are you making with your bored out cylinders and, I'm assuming bigger turbo?
Thank you for your input! I'm still using the stock turbo on my car actually. Stock boost too. The forged pistons started off as a durability upgrade, but I figured I'd go 'full-bore' while I was there with the intention of going with higher boost. But my plans kinda fizzled-out due to lack of money. To answer your question, I can't imagine I'm doing much more than 200HP right now. Haven't had my car dyno'd yet though.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM

If you haven't accumulated 12 Engine PIPS (Rule 5.0.H.1), you won't need a Dyno run.

Good idea to improve reliability and run stock power to get yourself OTA acclimatized.

JohnP
CCC
Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
If you haven't accumulated 12 Engine PIPS (Rule 5.0.H.1), you won't need a Dyno run.

Good idea to improve reliability and run stock power to get yourself OTA acclimatized.

JohnP
CCC
Yeah, I definitely had that in the back of my mind. A few of these tracks will be all new to me this year. Also good to hear I won't need a dyno. The less money I have to spend, the better. Lol!