CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM

H stock rules

Hey all,

I'm new to this and have just re-read the 2011 regulations with mind to prep level classifications for next year.

In the one event I attended, I was in H stock with my bog standard '99 Corolla. I was just wondering what I could do to maximise my chances in this car and stay in this class.

From what I understand from the regs, I can use 2 prep points. I could use one to take out rear or passenger seat (whichever is heavier) and with the other, I could run Toyo R888's.

If I was to run the R888's, my cars factory tyre size is not available (185/65 R14) so I thought I was out of luck. Then I re-read and saw that it says any tyre size can be used as long as it satisfies the rule about tread not being further out than the wheel arch.

So given that, it seems it is OK for me to run the R888 in 205/55 R14 size if it fits. Does anyone know if this wheel will fit OK? I can also use 1/4" wheel spacers from what I understand.

Is my understanding on this correct?

Thanks,

Tom...
edit: And oh, not wanting to blow over a grand on tyres just for that sh*tbox of a car, I was hoping that they would then be OK on a Miata (and subsequently a Super 7) i'm planning on getting in the next couple of years. Do people run that size on Miatas?

Last edited by Tom_17; 10-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Re: H stock rules

People have had a lot of success with some street tires such as the Hankook RS3 and Dunlop star specs. That may be another option as well.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Hi Tom,

You've got the guts of the idea. The most important thing you can do in HS is tires.

First things first: Do you have spare wheels to mount these on and change wheels at the event, or do you plan to daily drive on them?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Do you know the width of your stock rims? 6"? Maybe 5.5"? I wonder if a 205 wide r888 would have trouble fitting onto a rim designed for 185 wide tires. But don't take my word for it. Consult a wheel and tire expert before ordering expensive tires.

If it does fit on the rim, I think the tire would still be way inboard of the fender so you shouldn't have to worry about sticking out of the fender.

Running r-comp tires is a wise use of 1 prep point. How heavy do you think your rear seats are? Gut feeling says the other prep point may be better spent on a rear swaybar or non-stock size rims to fit even wider tires.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangsui View Post
... non-stock size rims to fit even wider tires.
Not legal for stock anymore. I believe his wheels are 14" x 5.5" Yang.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 PM

I believe the standard Corolla rims are 5.5 yes. Also, the Toyo website shows those tyres as being OK to run on 5.5, I *think*. It says the approved rim width is 5.5-6.5-7.5 . I assume that means 6.5 is ideal and 5.5 is still approved?

I don't plan to daily drive on them. They don't seem to be ideal road tyres plus it's a blatant waste I'd get another set of rims for them but probably drive to the events on them rather than changing them there. If I can't use them when I get a Miata, I won't bother as it's not worth it.

How big a difference will shocks make at this level? It seems shocks are open to a degree (basically, you can have 2 external dampening adjustments, but all geometry must remain the same). The shocks on that car are shot. Bouncy bouncy. Maybe just new oem replacements will make a difference.

Tom...

Last edited by Tom_17; 10-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM

If it was me, assuming next season will be your first, I'd pick up some 185/60/14 Dunlop Direzza Starspec street tires, drive them on the street as well. Maybe change the rear sway bar (if it's allowed next year) and get a performance alignment.

Perfect way to get started at a low cost and have fun right out of the gate.

You could use those size of R888's on an NA Miata though, if you do want to go that route. 205 might be a bit wide for 5.5" width though. It'll fit, but it'll be a bit sloppy and feedback will be vague. There's other's here with loads more R888 experience than me who could advise.

Any working shock is certainly better than broken ones. Not sure what your cost on the OEM's are. Check if there's a cheap KYB or Koni etc replacement that uses stock mounting hardware and location. Don't bother with anything spendy at this point, especially if you're planning to get a Miata later anyway.

Last edited by Saj5DJ; 10-07-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Shane, was it you hooning it round in that Volvo on Sunday? You were having a lot of fun
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Nope. That was likely Eric. I was the one doing donuts in the white BMW E30. Well, until everyone else decided my car looked like fun. By the end of the day there were 3 of us driving my car.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
If it was me, assuming next season will be your first, I'd pick up some 185/60/14 Dunlop Direzza Starspec street tires, drive them on the street as well. Maybe change the rear sway bar (if it's allowed next year) and get a performance alignment.

Perfect way to get started at a low cost and have fun right out of the gate.
They look nice, but it seems like they don't come in my size. I was having this problem in general when I was looking for performance tyres in that size. All the online listings I found only listed all-seasons.
Anyway, I want to get all I can out of this car next year, it may be its last year of life Also, I think I could do well overall if I understand PAX correctly

I don't think I want to spend any money on the car itself. I had pretty much condemned it to death for next year, but now I may as well have a little fun with it first. I don't mind spending on the tyres if they can see life on another car. Anti-roll-bar.. Not so much

Quote:
You could use those size of R888's on an NA Miata though, if you do want to go that route. 205 might be a bit wide for 5.5" width though. It'll fit, but it'll be a bit sloppy and feedback will be vague. There's other's here with loads more R888 experience than me who could advise.
I'm not too concerned if they are a bit sloppy on the Corolla, but if I moved them over to a Miata, it's likely I would go with wider rims. The Miata plan is not a longterm autocross plan, but a donor for a 'locost'. But again, I may as well have some fun with it before I kill it. The Miata would probably be in 2013

Quote:
Any working shock is certainly better than broken ones. Not sure what your cost on the OEM's are. Check if there's a cheap KYB or Koni etc replacement that uses stock mounting hardware and location. Don't bother with anything spendy at this point, especially if you're planning to get a Miata later anyway.
I just talked myself out of fancy shocks. I will be killing this car off so cheap wins Still better than bouncy

Thanks for the advice!

Tom...
edit: Seems like i'm wrong about the Direzza. I guess I just need to find a dealer that has them...

Last edited by Tom_17; 10-07-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_17 View Post
The Miata plan is not a longterm autocross plan, but a donor for a 'locost'.
I like you.

PITL - Car #102
CASC - Car #102
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Do you have one then?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM

If you are alright with swapping at events, The the R888s will do well. It will looked piched, but it will do the job. The star spec Z1 is also a good option, and streetable. So that is one point. If you can, get a rear sway bar for the second point. Its much better than taking out the rear seats imo.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Not legal for stock anymore. I believe his wheels are 14" x 5.5" Yang.
Oops. Missed that. I was looking at the 2010 rules. Thanks for the correction Barry.

To OP: I think working shocks will give you a much better chance of winning than broken ones :P
Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM

205/55/14's will work on a 5.5" rim, so if you want toyo r888's, get those. If you want a streetable tire, dunlop starspecs and falken azenis 615k are both available in 195/60/14 (from tirerack and discount tire direct respectively). All of the above tires would be very happy on a miata. If you get a 94-99 miata, you can run 14x6" rims.

Im not sure, but you may be able to use an oem sway bar from another model corolla or matrix which would stiffen up the rear and be available at the wreckers... It won't be necessary, but it will make things more fun. If you can get one cheaply, I'd go for it.

I also wouldn't remove the passenger seat. You won't gain much in performance and you will lose the ability to have others ride along with you. Passengers can give you a lot of useful tips.

Also, the best investment you can make is to attend the autoslalom school in the spring. For about $100 and 2 days, you get tons of seat time and instruction.
#67 miata, solodwarf, fancy vw.
Autoslalom Rookie Ambassador