CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Re: H stock rules

Yep, you're all good with those Tom.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM

just watch out if you're ordering them from the US... UPS is just as likely to leave them on your front step or overnight on their trucks to freeze
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM

I was actually wondering if there was anywhere local. I am currently waiting for a price from Allen at Simply Tire, but if that does not work out, what next? Tirerack.com?

Where do you all get your R & comp tyres?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Kuhmo Canada stopped carrying the V710s. The only stock avaliable are the ones at the shops themselves.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM

Tom check the tirerack,ask them the build dates as my last set were 2 years old when I got them(not from them however)-not too happy about that.

Like already mentioned,don't have them shipped untill the weather will be above freezing during shipping.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Can try Talon Tire too.

If you can't get V710's and don't want to spend Hoosier money, alot of folks have said positive things about the Hankook Z214's in the soft autocross compound. Cheap too.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM

I think the reason Tom sent me in the direction of the V710 is tyre size options. Hankook and Hoosier can't help me there as i'd need new rims to deal with the extra width. Probably.

Tom...
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM

Yeah that was part of it as the 205-55-14 size offered by hankook probably isn't going to offer more performance compared to a lighter/shorter 195-55-14 710 on the mandatory 6" ish wheel.
I have a set of 195-55-14's on 6" VW wheels and thats about as wide as I'd bother to mount on those.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementZ View Post
Kuhmo Canada stopped carrying the V710s. The only stock avaliable are the ones at the shops themselves.
I thought that this would be an issue, as we previously outlawed any tire that was not available in numerous rim sizes. When did that get taken out of the rulebook?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM

They're all available in various rim sizes Pete. What Tom is saying is saying is that the Kumho is only one available in his ideal 195 width in a 14" size. A6's and Z214's are 205 wide in 14" sizes.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
They're all available in various rim sizes Pete. What Tom is saying is saying is that the Kumho is only one available in his ideal 195 width in a 14" size. A6's and Z214's are 205 wide in 14" sizes.
Ok, good to hear. Thanks Stephen. (Btw, it should be put into our new rulebook, in my opinion.) 13.3.F in the SCCA book:
"F. Each tire model must be sold in at least four rim diameters with a total of at least six sizes."
It does not specify where the tire has to be sold, though.

To the OP: I totally agree that a wider wheel is ideal, and I have always said this. However, if you look at the US events, they will squeeze the widest tire available onto the OE wheel. It is not unusual to see 225s put onto OE 5.5" or 6" wheels.

If you were looking for the ultimate tire, I still think the A6 would be the way to go. But, since this is all relatively new to this, I would try to learn on a less sticky tire, as others have said.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 PM

I'd like see an actual same day,same driver test of a proper sized tire versus a stuffed tire here in our climate on a 45 second asphalt course.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM

That would be interesting.

Well, it seems that as suggested above, all the V710's in Canada are old. The newest ones we can find in a warehouse in VC were made in 2008. Oh well.

Checking with tire rack to see how old theirs are. If this fails I will have to rethink and maybe 'stuff' a 205 on there. It's still going to be a vaaaast improvement over the old crappy road tyres I have on now.

Question now is, is a 205 on the (I think) 5.5J rim going to be any better than a well fitted, say, R888. How much of a detriment is the additional rollover? I guess you'd need more -ve camber to compensate (I can't adjust this), turn-in will be squishy (It already is) and the tyres will start to wear on the outside edge and die quickly...

Ho hum, maybe I just give autox a miss this year and play when I get my Miata donor

Tom...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_17 View Post
That would be interesting.

Well, it seems that as suggested above, all the V710's in Canada are old. The newest ones we can find in a warehouse in VC were made in 2008. Oh well.

Checking with tire rack to see how old theirs are. If this fails I will have to rethink and maybe 'stuff' a 205 on there. It's still going to be a vaaaast improvement over the old crappy road tyres I have on now.

Question now is, is a 205 on the (I think) 5.5J rim going to be any better than a well fitted, say, R888. How much of a detriment is the additional rollover? I guess you'd need more -ve camber to compensate (I can't adjust this), turn-in will be squishy (It already is) and the tyres will start to wear on the outside edge and die quickly...

Ho hum, maybe I just give autox a miss this year and play when I get my Miata donor

Tom...
The slicks will be faster, if you do want the grip at all costs. Lots of guys running nationals south of the border with 225's (and larger) on 6" wheels. You'll be fine.

Pretty much all Mac strut (your Corolla is? Correct me if I'm wrong) FWD HS cars are murder on the shoulders of all these super sticky tires. The 195 might not be AS bad, but I would say you're talking a rather small difference. They will wear fast.

Other option is, as you say, R888's. Lose some grip (and with it, some tire killing body roll), gain some longevity.

OR run in Street Touring Compact, get some Star Specs or similar making suspension mods (inc. camber bolts) and up to 7.5" wide wheels legal. Yes, you'll be under prepped for the class, but I can promise you won't be the only one. I won ST2 last year with a set of sway bars, camber bolts and otherwise stock suspension.

If you are dead set on the super stickies in HS, I wouldn't let the difference between 195 & 205 (or the older tires for that matter) put you off competing. The difference will be marginal at best, is up for debate which one would be faster and would take a highly consistent driver that can nail each run like clockwork to tell the difference.

I autocrossed my Miata last year with 205 Kumho XS's on 6" wheels, which are much, much softer in the sidewall than the R-Comps. It wasn't ideal, but it works.

Just come on out and enjoy chucking that Corolla around

CASC-OR Autoslalom Director
Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM

I may give the 205's a go then. I am absolutely *not* spending any money on this car. It gets scrapped at the end of the year (unless I can get money for it, it's possible I suppose) and I get a Jeep

The tyres I can use on the Miata when I get it. They will be old, but what the hell, I can have some fun on it before I take it to bits