CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM

JDM Miata for lapping/OTA - any drawbacks?

I havenít seen any posts discussing this topic (after searching using as many search terms as I could think of), so please bear with me if itís been brought up before.

Iím thinking of buying a JDM Miata for lapping and possibly eventual OTA participation. I understand the requirement for a roll bar and hardtop for OTA and would be planning to install both.

My question, however, is this: are JDM cars permitted in OTA, or perhaps frowned upon? I donít see anything in the OTA Regulations specifically discussing this. Are there any disadvantages to using a RHD car, other than the obvious one of possible confusion when indicating a point-by pass during lapping?

I wouldnít have considered buying a JDM car before, but found one that meets my requirements.

Any comments greatly appreciated!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Re: JDM Miata for lapping/OTA - any drawbacks?

RHD vehicles have been used, We would ask at the drivers meeting to be reminded so the point by passing in the morning lapping could be covered. Also for the Marshalls to be made aware of the driver being oin the right side.

Look forward to seeing you out.

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM

I don't see a problem with that ... either A) you're using turn signals anyway, or B) a point-by is still a point-by. UNLESS you have a passenger with you, it'll be pretty obvious if there's only 1 person in the car.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Buy mine.
Prep'ed and ready to go.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ322276830

In Ottawa too.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM

The only issue I see with a JDM car is that it's impossible to do a "JDM Motor Swap" on one, since it already comes with one. I guess you could always consider doing a "NA-DM" swap to a detuned motor just to throw a loop at the Car Classification Committee .

On a more serious note, other than the passing point-by, no issues what so ever. Welcome to OTA, I'm sure you'll enjoy it
#74 - 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmo-san View Post

Iím thinking of buying a JDM Miata for lapping and possibly eventual OTA participation. I understand the requirement for a roll bar and hardtop for OTA and would be planning to install both.

My question, however, is this: are JDM cars permitted in OTA, or perhaps frowned upon? I donít see anything in the OTA Regulations specifically discussing this. Are there any disadvantages to using a RHD car, other than the obvious one of possible confusion when indicating a point-by pass during lapping?

I wouldnít have considered buying a JDM car before, but found one that meets my requirements.

Any comments greatly appreciated!
Welcome aboard.

Hard top is not required, but soft top must be up. Harddog Hard Core or CSC roll bar required.

I don't think there is any issue running a JDM Miata in our series. What year is your car and what is the difference between the JDM version vs a North American version?

To classify it, you will need to compare to a North American version. If JDM has more hp then you will have to declare the higher hp (just like if you did an engine swap on a Cdn car). If sway bars are heavier then you will have to declare sPIPs. Go through the OTA rule book to figure out what class it fits in.

JohnP
Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Welcome aboard.

What year is your car and what is the difference between the JDM version vs a North American version?
Thanks everyone for the comments, and for the welcomes!

As for the differences between the JDM car and the North American version, I’m on the road at the moment so I’ll have to check my Miata literature at home before giving a definitive answer. However, as best as I can recall, they are identical as far as mechanics go. The only difference was in the options available; e.g. leather seating available a year earlier in Japan, etc. The RHD being the other obvious difference. Luckily, I’ve practised my left-hand shifting in the UK on rental cars, so I don’t expect this to be a problem!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Welcome aboard.

Hard top is not required, but soft top must be up. Harddog Hard Core or CSC roll bar required.

JohnP

Hard dog or CSC only? That's a little restrictive, no? if I put a custom cromoly SCCA legal full rollcage in the car it's going to fail tech? :P I haven't read that rulebook but just to clarify that's probably not all that's legal. Any decent functional rollbar should get you past tech.

(that said, the bar on my miata would probably fail tech some places due to construction technique but it's strong enough to lift the car from)
Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrh View Post
Hard dog or CSC only? That's a little restrictive, no? if I put a custom cromoly SCCA legal full rollcage in the car it's going to fail tech?
Of course you can have your roll bar / roll cage built anywhere, as long as it meets the physical/technical standards of CASC-OR .

CSC is always recommended, since they are a long time sponsor of CASC-OR, and they obviously know how to build a quality bar/cage that meets or exceeds our rules .
Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM

As a scutineer, we check the construction to meet the rules. It does not matter who built it.

Hard Dog and CSC build a cost effective bolt in and are the most commonly used. Autopower also build bolt in units which are accepable.

Anybody can also build thier own or go to thier choice of builder.

I have built cages which are currently used as well. I am however not allowed to inspect my own cages for obvious reasons

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com
Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Just out of curiousity, why would the soft top have to be up? If it is secured in the down position all the metal bracing would be away from the driver, as when it is up sharp metal rods would come directly at driver and passenger?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrracing View Post
Just out of curiousity, why would the soft top have to be up? If it is secured in the down position all the metal bracing would be away from the driver, as when it is up sharp metal rods would come directly at driver and passenger?
I was going to ask this as well, as I thought the rule had changed last year. MX-5 Cup Cars run without a roof of any kind.
Competition Yellow 2010 MX-5 STR #64
www.twinlakesmc.org
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 PM

My understanding (although don't quote me, this is only my belief!) is that if you have a roll bar that fits INSIDE (under) the soft top, it may not provide 100% of the 2" rule (clearance above the driver's helmet), so the top is to be kept up as an additional "barrier" (not that it will necessarily do much, if anything).

Again, my understanding is if you want to go completely "topless", then you must have a bar that provides a full 2" of protection above the driver's helmet (aka: the "broomstick" rule, from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar, there should be 2" between the broomstick and the helmet).

Somebody may have more history on this rule, but that's my take on it .
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete View Post

Somebody may have more history on this rule, but that's my take on it .
Somewhat helps for the first roll to keep your limbs in the car if you're flailing around. Has been argued that the metal bits in the soft top are greater risk, but we're not forcing anyone to buy a hardtop.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: MOD? -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete View Post
Again, my understanding is if you want to go completely "topless", then you must have a bar that provides a full 2" of protection above the driver's helmet (aka: the "broomstick" rule, from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar, there should be 2" between the broomstick and the helmet).
Can someone confirm this? I quite literally cannot fit under either hard or soft top of my Miata with a helmet on, and I've always wondered if an SCCA EP Miata (like this http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...c-and-rx3.aspx ) would be allowed to run, and if so why? Is it broomstick rule + arm restraints?

Thanks!
Thomas

Tags
jdm, lapping, miata, ota, rhd