CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > General Interest > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Studded tires on the road in Ontario

I need to move a little bit further north. No drive clean, cheaper registration fees, and studded tires.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq...e.shtml#studs1
Who can use studded tires?

Northern Ontario residents can use studded tires with lightweight studs, anywhere in Ontario, from October 1 to April 30 inclusive. Using illegal studs, driving outside the legal time period, and Southern Ontario residents using studs on their vehicles can result in fines of up to $1,000.
How much does it cost to purchase a studded tire?

Studded tires are now available and can be ordered by your local tire installer or supplier in Northern Ontario. Follow manufacturers' recommendations for installation, maintenance and operations

What type of studs can I use?

Only lightweight Scandinavian studs can be used in Northern Ontario. The maximum stud weight for each type of vehicle is regulated.
Where can I get more information on the type of studded tires I can use in Northern Ontario?

Detailed information is included in Regulation 625 and is available through E-Laws: Highway Traffic Act - Tire Standards and Specifications
Do out-of-province visitors face fines if they have heavy (steel) studs on their vehicles?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq...le.shtml#fees2
What is considered Northern Ontario?

Under the Highway Traffic Act, a person residing in Northern Ontario means a person who ordinarily resides in the Territorial District of Muskoka, Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay or any part of the Territorial District of Nipissing lying North or West of Algonquin Provinical Park.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Re: Studded tires on the road in Ontario

isn't it legal until you get caught?

darcy
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 AM

My wife used to drive around Toronto on the street studs I saved from my ice racer when I sold it. Never had a problem and at the time she lived in little Italy. She loved the 'grippy' sound they made and all the people at the bus stops wondering what the sound was.
Solo1 - #107 GT1-R
Solo2 - #105 DMOD

SPDA Social Director
www.spda-online.ca
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 PM

I've always thought that the present permissions for studs aren't fair. From Eastern Ontario and Ottawa and the Valley all the way over to Parry Sound are all the same latitude and get pretty much the same winter driving conditions, but only the Parry Sound District get studs.

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
I've always thought that the present permissions for studs aren't fair. From Eastern Ontario and Ottawa and the Valley all the way over to Parry Sound are all the same latitude and get pretty much the same winter driving conditions, but only the Parry Sound District get studs.
Agreed. In fact I find it odd that anyone from out of province can use studs anywhere in Ontario for up to 30 days.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM

I find it odd that anyone would WANT to run studs,I mean seriously how many days in the winter do you actually NEED studs?maybe 1 or 2 for you gta folks?.I live right at the line that allows studded tires and I ice race on them but theres far too many cons versus pros,just buy decent studless tires and call it a day.You'll be able to hear the radio at hwy speeds along with increased performance so win win.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM

I can't say anything about the GTA these days as I haven't lived there since '75, but back when I did live there we had real winters. I had a new '65 Corvair Monza back then, and it had four CTC studded winter tires with a cement block in the front trunk, and I could go damn near anywhere with 'em. I now live just east of Ottawa, and there have been lots of winters when I wished I could still get studded tires.

"I'm so old that when I hear the word "Spandex" I think of watch bracelets."

Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max attack View Post
I find it odd that anyone would WANT to run studs,I mean seriously how many days in the winter do you actually NEED studs?maybe 1 or 2 for you gta folks?.I live right at the line that allows studded tires and I ice race on them but theres far too many cons versus pros,just buy decent studless tires and call it a day.You'll be able to hear the radio at hwy speeds along with increased performance so win win.
max attack is right, there really is no need to run studs for normal everyday driving. I live up here in Kirkland Lake where they are legal to use and by my guestimates maybe 30% of people use them. They are great for around town commuting as the roads in and around town typically are snow/ice covered all winter. But any major hwy or road is bare and to be honest a good set of studless will do in any condition around here with a bit of driving caution. I only run an all season on my truck and get by just fine.

Dr. Smooth, yeah we get cheaper registration, get to use studs and no drive clean, but to be honest that's about the only deal we get on anything. Come buy your groceries up here or go get that oil filter for your 2006 Volvo....good luck. Oddly though I wouldn't trade it for living back "down south".
2007 Ontario Challenge Cup Champions, GT3 Class

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem"
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post

Dr. Smooth, yeah we get cheaper registration, get to use studs and no drive clean, but to be honest that's about the only deal we get on anything. Come buy your groceries up here or go get that oil filter for your 2006 Volvo....good luck. Oddly though I wouldn't trade it for living back "down south".

Believe me I know the price of groceries and other items up there, I would still love to trade it for down here!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
max attack is right, there really is no need to run studs for normal everyday driving. I live up here in Kirkland Lake where they are legal to use and by my guestimates maybe 30% of people use them. They are great for around town commuting as the roads in and around town typically are snow/ice covered all winter. But any major hwy or road is bare and to be honest a good set of studless will do in any condition around here with a bit of driving caution. I only run an all season on my truck and get by just fine.

By the way James, your studded tires are ready!!!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
Minden Kin Club Member
District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
Car Number 1
Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ98 View Post
By the way James, your studded tires are ready!!!
HEY!!!! Good one Andy...ahem...for the record, everybody reading this thread, contrary to what I have said about the use of studded tires previously, the studded tires Andy is referring to are for my ice racing car. Thanks for trying to throw me under the bus Andy, I owe ya!
2007 Ontario Challenge Cup Champions, GT3 Class

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem"
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
HEY!!!! Good one Andy...ahem...for the record, everybody reading this thread, contrary to what I have said about the use of studded tires previously, the studded tires Andy is referring to are for my ice racing car. Thanks for trying to throw me under the bus Andy, I owe ya!
LOL! ...I just had to do it James ... See you at the track!

CASC-OR Ice Race Director
Toronto Autosport Club Ice Race Organizer
Minden Kin Club Member
District 8 Secretary Kin Canada
Car Number 1