CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM

So what is CASC OTA ?

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend my very first CASC OTA event. I arrived early Saturday morning to the DDT.

When I first arrived I asked the nearest person to me where the registration was so I could sign the waivers, pick up my decals, my RFID timer and my meal ticket. ( The meal ticket was $10 and very well worth it, coming from a Portuguese table at home they weren't shy with the portions at the CASC event ) The paddock was full of a great variety of different cars which made it interesting for me see all the different setups.

I almost missed tech as I wasn't sure where it was at the beginning but I now know to look for the BIG RED DODGE TRUCK with the scrutineering sign next to it. Derrick was very helpful and to be honest it wasn't as daunting and scary as some people made it out to be.

Being a novice it was mandatory that I had an instructor during open lapping in the morning sessions. I had a great time with my instructor (Pierre, Thanks for all the help on my first day), who showed me the reference points, general track safety and track etiquette.

I had snapped some photos of people driving in hope to learn some of their driving lines and see what I could do to drive my car faster and more importantly safer on the track.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Re: So what is CASC OTA ?

As the day wound on and the event was over it was time to settle in for camping. I must say that the camping is the icing on the cake for the CASC events. As things got settled down the beer got opened is when the true spirit of grassroots motorsports comes into play.

I picked the brains of a few people and learned that parts don't always work as their supposed to and your better off in a stock car until you really know what you are doing. (Thanks Coey, that lesson was from you, lol)

[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/9002449756_0302bd929f_c.jpg[/img[

The one thing I would say that sets the CASC OTA group apart from all the other series I've been to is the "FAMILY FEEL" to it. I can't say that I've been to an event motorsport or otherwise the people were generally welcoming and treated me as one of their own from the moment my eyes saw the gate.

I had a great time and I hope that others reading this and sitting on the sidelines will come out and share in the great experiences that I had this weekend.

To everyone who attended this weekends event, you deserve a big hand.

I'm really looking forward to Shannonville.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 AM

Paul, it is great to hear you enjoyed your experience at the events this past weekend - it was also great meeting you and talking with you. Nice pics as well
#82 Mazda RX8
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM

It was a great weekend
Attached Images

Alex. Time-Attack #133 GT-3
www.postholesolutions.ca
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Glad to hear you had a good time, Paul! You improved allot over the course of the weekend and I look forward to seeing your progression throughout the season.

OTA needs more novices such as yourself to share their experiences!
Corey Whiteman - #77 BMW 328i GT1
www.canalignment.com , www.litehawk.ca
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budulis View Post
It was a great weekend
Great shot Alex. Hard to believe that was only 2/3rds of the cars present!
Corey Whiteman - #77 BMW 328i GT1
www.canalignment.com , www.litehawk.ca
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Paul, good t finally meet you and see you run. Thanks for the good words and see you at SMP. It will let the Speed3 (s) stretch their legs.

Gary Wood: Mazda RX-8 #52
2013 OTA Registrar
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Nice write up Paul! The atmospher is one the best things about OTA.
Everyone is willing to help out the next guy or gal!
Time Attack #17 GT3S
www.machine-motorsports.com
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM

We did have one sig screw up this weekend which was not having the TV up and running to show instant times, or alternatively, printing the on going results during the day.

Unfortunately a number of folks, myself included, dropped the ball on that one. In our defence I would say that it is more than a bit difficult to get the TV set up working at the DDT given the distance to the timing area and iffy power source.

This will not be a problem at Shannonville. BTW how many of you are coming to SMP in 2 weeks? The total entry this past weekend was great and we hope to see all of you and more at SMP. No elevation changes but a lot faster. Both John and I can clerk for up to 10 + cars at a time on the full track.

BTW I thought our newbies were very well behaved and as you noticed, got a lot faster over the weekend. Final and complete results should be available this week.

P.S., If you are reading this Adam, I stole your #.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Great post dude! Was nice to meet you and everyone this weekend, it was my first time out as well.

I had a complete blast, OTA is definitely for me, so I'll be saving my pennies in the hope to run next season in it's entirety. For this season, I'll do my best to get out at least one or two more times

sadly, the rims & tires I went to get after the event on Sunday didn't fit! So my hunt for new rims and rubber continues.

Crucial thanks to all of the volunteers and organizers that put this together, you did a fantastic job! And a big personal thanks to the more than few guys who helped me with vital advice and re-learning
I continue to be amazed at the friendly, positive, constructive advice and attitudes you all put forth. It's a breath of fresh air to say the very least!!

See you next time around, I'm considering passing on the Auto Slalom event on the 23rd and coming to Shannonville. If I can put the pennies together I'll be out!

-Matt
Infiniti G35 Sedan ~ OTA #87 - SGT3
AutoSlalom #87 - Street Mod/Street tire
PITL - C-Mod
Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Great post Paul, you sum it up very well. Instructing novices is part of the deal when you sign up for OTA events - no extra charge. As Corey said you've progressed very well throughout the weekend. Keep it up and we'll have to make an instructor out of you!
CarGuy - Subaru BRZ #57

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM

Kudos to everyone that made this weekend so much fun. Unfortunately I won't be making it to Shannonville (girlfriend's birthday...too bad she isn't into racing or I'd drag her out!), but I'm looking forward to running at all the remaining events. I will also be signing up for the school at Mosport as well which will make for another incredible weekend at the track!

I also wanted to thank all the volunteers who ran the event and were able to answer questions and be of assistance whenever needed. I am happy to be part of that group of volunteers (if needed) at future events with regards to posting time sheets, etc. as I am committed to helping improve the series wherever I can help.

Last note, I just wanted to commend the classing system that OTA has in place. GT3 is a prime example of why this system works. The top 6 or 7 cars were all within about 1.5sec both days which proves how accurate and the car classification database is at classing cars by allowing so many vastly different cars to run roughly the same speeds.

Looking forward to Grand Bend!!
#82 Mazda RX8
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Was a great weekend indeed. Nice write up.

For me, the learning process very much continues going into my second season.

Biggest thing I learned this weekend was that us newer guys can put in some performances, but the experienced racers have seen it all before!

Great fun and good experience earned Sunday with Scott applying some psychological pressure. Appreciate the very insightful input from Pierre who, as usual, hit the nail on the head.

CASC-OR Autoslalom Director
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 PM

It is a great group of people... I remember heading out to my first event in 2006... didn't know what to expect - great fun it turned out!

Sorry I missed #1 & #2, but booked for Shannonville - staying at the Comfort Inn (don't forget the Shannonville discount!). Car's all fixed up and ready to go!
Jim - '93 Corvette #115

Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
Was a great weekend indeed. Nice write up.

For me, the learning process very much continues going into my second season.

Biggest thing I learned this weekend was that us newer guys can put in some performances, but the experienced racers have seen it all before!

Great fun and good experience earned Sunday with Scott applying some psychological pressure. Appreciate the very insightful input from Pierre who, as usual, hit the nail on the head.
all in good fun

Great weekend indeed, and great write up Paul.

Also very cool of you to share your ride to help out your fellow competitor

http://www.can-alignment.com http://trackmart.com