CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Tire/suspension trouble

Hi, Jeremy here, I was hoping for some advice on getting rid of the shoulder wear on my tires

I've got an 01 honda prelude on Bridgestone potenza re760 sport (205/40r17)
The car is pretty much stock except for kyb agx struts

I was wondering if this was a result of the from my car understeering or if I can even get away from it with these tires. I have been considering giving it a bit of negative camber but that would mean some work as the car has no adjustment and I'd want to stay within manufacter specs (1 deg ether side) as it is my daily driver. I was also thinking of a stiffer rear sway bar as everyone has said it will help with the understeer. The last thing is I was thinking about getting a better set of tires just for the track but would want to mount them on the stock 16x6.75 wheels with a 225/50r16 but not sure if that would be a good size for track use.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Re: Tire/suspension trouble

Hey Jeremy,

Barry here, met you at DDT.

I'm sure Ujjwal and others can give you some 'lude specfic advice, but in general:

While the stiffer rear sway will definitely help with the understeer and help things for you, it won't stop the shoulder wear.

Realistically you need camber, stiffer tires and stiffer suspension (in order of cost).

You can try increasing tire pressure to prevent sidewall roll also. I ran my OEM tires on my WRX at like 40 psi when I ran it in my first year.

You shouldn't find noticeably more tire wear with 2.0 degrees of camber up front, provided the toe is still at (or near) zero. I ran that in my WRX, no problems and it really isn't much when it's all said and done.

A stiffer EHP tire will help too, as the sidewall will flex less. BFG Rivals, Dunlop Direzza II Star Specs and Yokohama AD08's are to go to's for camber challenged cars.

I wouldn't stuff 225's on your narrow rims. Could potentially grip more, but the sidewalls will have less support, roll more and make the issue worse.

Hope this helps.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM

I agree with Barry; just avoid toe settings other than Zero if you want to keep wear minimal.

You're not running over -1.0 degrees right now and your wear is bad, right? Running -2.0 to -3.0 will IMPROVE your tire wear if you want to keep tracking it.

You can have the tires flipped on the rim when the outside wear exceeds the inside wear. Talk to Ujjwal and Lloyd as Lude experts. Then as always... Talk to Scott at Canalignment.com when it's time to set the suspension right.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: MOD? -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM

it's all a compromise... good wear on the street = bad wear on the track. good wear on the track = bad wear on the street. If you're not running a dedicated track car, you have to compromise, unfortunately.

Go visit Scott Murfin, tell him what you want, and you'll get it
Jim - #115 - '07 Corvette Z51
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 AM

The RE760 is really just too soft to be a track tire in my experience. I ran them on the Prelude and it wasn't good. I needed to run 50 psi hot on the front left corner when I was still lazing around Mosport GP in the low 50, otherwise it would chunk to oblivion.

You will still wear out the outside part of a trackable tire with stock camber, but they will be stiffer and deal with the heat better so they won't fall apart or roll over excessively at reasonable to highish tire pressures. The Dunlop Star Spec Z1 was pretty good for that, maybe the Z2 is similar.

More camber/stiffer springs will help but have obvious tradeoffs for a street car, unfortunately.

A big rear bar is a great mod for most FWD cars, but I doubt it will limit ultimate roll angle that (since the inside rear will start lifting), so don't expect much change in tire rollover.
03 Z06 #72
15 Prius V
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 AM

Barry and Lloyd have pretty much covered it. I tracked with 205/something/16 Direzza's on stock suspension and the tire rolled over quite a bit. It was a good tire though and still did something like 20000km on the street with 8 track days. If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely try to pack a 225 rs3 under there and gut the car as much as possible (~2600lbs). Get as much negative camber as you can up front, and a rear sway bar. The prelude is extremely heavy for the amount of tire it can fit but I think it can be made reasonably competitive if you have the drive. Until you lose your sanity and start ripping the car, hone your skills with the equipment that you have/can afford and live with. Whatever you do, do not do a euro-r engine swap if your goal is winning OTA.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone, I definitely am going to put some better tires on considering if I keep wearing the re760s like I have I'll probably need new tires after the next weekend anyways

Would toyo proxes r1 r be a good choice, because I can get a deal on them through work and would using the stock 205/50r16 be a better choice then stuffing a 225/50r16 on the stock wheels

I also realized if I go passed the manufacture specs I'll be going into gt4, so would it be worth getting adjustments just to go to 1 deg as it has no camber right now
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM

I've had several sets of R1R tires. I like Toyo.
I found the 205 R1Rs to be a great tire and I'd recommend them - and I've heard from others the 195 was also excellent. I found the 225 (all these 15" size) to be quite slippery. That's just my personal experience.
Frank - OTA #259 retired. I'm in BC now!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Do R1R's qualify as a street tire, or do they fall into the non premium R Compound PiP schedule?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 AM

R1rs have a tread wear rating of 140 and rules state 140 and higher available in at least two rim sizes. I'm just not sure how they'll last, there directional so I can flip them inside to out
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 AM

The R1R is a great tire on some cars. I'd suggest that yours wouldn't be one of them: It likes to have camber and it likes lighter cars.

Stick with the BFG Rivals, Dunlop Direzza II's or Yokohama AD08's

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
The R1R is a great tire on some cars. I'd suggest that yours wouldn't be one of them: It likes to have camber and it likes lighter cars.

Stick with the BFG Rivals, Dunlop Direzza II's or Yokohama AD08's
Don't forget the Hankook's, they seem to work well on a certain heavier car!
#25 summer & winter
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM

I would put the Hankook under the "too soft" category as well, in this application.
03 Z06 #72
15 Prius V

Tags
shoulder wear, tires, understeer