CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Road Race Specific Forum

Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Re: Gauging Interest: FV1200 Driver Search Shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Scala View Post
Okay, so I was clearly out to lunch on FV suspensions. In any case, here's the spec as verified by the car owner: it's a Lynx 'B' with Z-bar rear suspension and a fresh SR motor. So there you have it. Car arrives on Saturday. Re-prep starts January.
Well you aren't entirely incorrect. The Z-bar suspension is still 4 shock suspension. The majority of the cars in F1200, and all the newer build cars are rear monoshock. That's not to say the Z-bar can't be just as fast. Major reasons they do monoshock is for simplicity, saves weight, and aero advantage. They do take a bit more work to get quick, but it's it is Steve's old car, it has speed in the blood! SR builds good motors, should be good there.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM

Smile Re: Gauging Interest: FV1200 Driver Search Shootout

Well I have my choice of two chassis': one is Steve Adams' old car (a four-shock chassis, which I'm told it has a bit more grip overall but feels a bit funny as it takes a set), and another car with monoshock rear suspension, though I'm unclear on the spec. I'll try and follow up with the owner tonight.

Do I hear two car team
Old 12-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Haha. Would maybe be a bit much for us to manage this year on top of the 2-3 other one- and two-car programs our guys are running.

Plus, Kijiji hasn't gifted us with the right 40-foot trailer just yet...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Haha. Would maybe be a bit much for us to manage this year on top of the 2-3 other one- and two-car programs our guys are running.

Plus, Kijiji hasn't gifted us with the right 40-foot trailer just yet...
I might know somewhere you can get a cheap dodge 3500 and a 24' trailer, perfect for a two car F1200 team
Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM

You can fit two of those buggies in an 24-footer? Wow!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:31 PM

If the trailer is high enough you can double stack them, they probably won't go over weight
Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownguy View Post
If the trailer is high enough you can double stack them, they probably won't go over weight
Ah, right, of course. Benches and whatnot...

So I've got some ideas on conducting the actual tryout. Currently thinking we can score driver consistency on deviation from a target 'stigged' laptime using the ChumpCar, and score outright speed on a third car.

Of course some time in the Vee itself should be essential, if not weighted a bit to score more heavily than the other two criteria. Still, time in other cars - particularly that with the objective of ultimate laptime - should help ease some demands on the Vee's drivetrain, which should be preseason-fresh at the time of the tryout. I'm leaning toward scoring the Vee segment on laptime with some calculation of deviation, potentially with a rev limit. Do these things lose any semblance of driveability if you short-shift them 1500ish RPM to mitigate zing-related kablammo risk?

Need to consider contingency plans in case of any damage and mechanical compromises sustained during the course of the test. In the case of criteria based on ultimate laptime, we'd have to re-test all the drivers. If we have 6 or 7 drivers, this could require an all-day thing without sessions that are mutually exclusive between open- and closed-wheel cars. The cost of tracktime required to conduct this tryout figures heavily into its ability to cover season-long running costs assuming realistic entry fees and driver count.

Last edited by Steven Scala; 12-19-2015 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Substituted 'assuming' in place of 'given.' I think it's the mot juste, that's all.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 PM

Unhappy Re: Gauging Interest: FV1200 Driver Search Shootout

Triage:

Okay, well the car got here last weekend and it's not a basketcase, but it needs a lot of cleanup to get it running, and lotsa money to get it race legal. Turns out it's the one last run by Chris Freeland. It needs a master cylinder, motor wake-up, and all-round refresh to get the thing working again: basically, could be made to do a test in 'coaching spec' with a couple months' work. Beyond that, it needs serious attention before it's race-ready. The thought of driving this thing in anger has me first thinking about the required safety upgrades, and secondly about the springy-looking chassis.

Given the (lack of) chassis structure, I can imagine the 'wobble and grip' impression the owner tried to impart on me insofar as that 'Z' bar is concerned. Overall this chassis looks to have been designed to articulate where the rear suspension would not. Those CV joints look funny, as if in comparison with the usual CV/halfshaft arrangement, these shafts lose a degree of freedom while the joints have gained one. What's going on back there? It really looks a bit bizarre to me, really. Maybe I'm missing something, but personally I feel this car's design is appropriate for vintage racing.

I know there are folks who are really into these cars (I know, they're big in Australia, etc.), but unless there's a compelling wave of driver interest, I feel like giving this particular example a nice tidy-up commensurate to the owner's effort in trucking it to me, my aim being to get it back to him cleaned, oiled, and nicely packaged for re-sale or project.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Hey Steve,

So there are a few things to note here. It is definitely a Lynx-B, and has updated bodywork from original, but the chassis and suspension seems to be original. The design with the 2x4 bottom rail acting as a the main stiffness of the chassis is very common for formula vee design. You are correct that the chassis will be somewhat compliant through the corners with this style suspension.

The rear axles / boots / transmission all looks fine. They look funny because you will never find anything like this on another formula car. It's all stock, right out of a VW bug rear end, right out to the brakes. The technology dates back to 1963 when FV started, and rules have never changed since.

All of the pieces seem to be there, but yes it will definitely take a lot of work and elbow grease to get it in working order, then competitive.

The wheels and tires tell me that the last time this car ran was in Ontario in F1200. The type of tires would tell you the era. I'm guessing Michelin?

Tags
driver search, fv1200