CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Ice Race Specific Forum

Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Inverted Starting Order

Just voicing a thought that has come up over the years about which I can't recall serious discussion: would there be any interest in having races started in the reverse order of the previous race finish? In my humble opinion this would make for more interesting racing and increase the overall driver training aspect of our series. Perhaps this can be discussed (rationally I hope) at the Spring Drivers Meeting?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Re: Inverted Starting Order

With the wide tracks of yester year would be fun for sure,with the narrow one line track we have this yr its proving to be REALLY tough to pass anyone in SS2 without risking unintended/unwanted contact.

In the larger classes it would be a major bummer I think,maybe just the 1st 2 or 3 rows at most.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM

While I am not racing this year, I find this an interesting concept. Additionally, I race in one of the smaller classes. Another perspective.
I like the idea. Could add another layer of entertainment to an already exciting ride.
As I consider this, I think about a driver telling me about starting 19th on a Sunday because he didn't race Saturday. Was very entertained to chip his way through the crowd all the way up to ninth.
Would definitely bring a whole now perspective to the championship race. Thinking there would be a fair bit of sandbagging in the qualifiers to try to get pole position in the first race on Saturday. Would be comical to watch drivers lagging the qualifier for pole position. Perhaps frustrating.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 PM

Tim brings up a great idea.
Fast car and a fast driver out front all the time is not necessarily great a driver with good race craft.
Some kart race clubs have used this format and had great success for some of their young drivers.
Several Ontario kart drivers are now racing top level all over the world in cars.
Last winter watching #53 Mr Leven start at the back and win was fun.
Then giving the pack 1/3 of the track before starting was even more special.
Just great racing.
Mr Smith also makes a very good point with his post.
This years track, given the huge snow fall was a wee bit narrow for great racing.
Just not a lot of room for moves off the race line,
Go back a bunch of years with a big track and 18-20" of ice and it needs to be done.
Has been a few years since the track has seen more than about 8"
www.sportsinmotion.ca
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM

I think the random starting order of Saturdays is fun but like the idea that the finishing order determines the starting order of the next race.

OTOH, by the time it gets to Sunday, the front runners tend to stay being front runners. I get the impression that most of the passing on Sundays comes from guys at the back of the pack who didn't race on Saturday.

What about pulling numbers out of the hat for Sunday's first race just like the "qualifier" of Saturday morning?

Admittedly the downside to this is that the fastest driver/car combo could easily be blocked out of winning the race by the luck of a bad draw out of the hat.

If we were to go to pulling numbers out of a hat for the first Sunday race, what about scoring all 5 races for points on the weekend but using more throw aways so there isn't a more clear advantage to running Saturdays?

Just trying to think out of the box.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1 View Post
Tim brings up a great idea.
Fast car and a fast driver out front all the time is not necessarily great a driver with good race craft.
Some kart race clubs have used this format and had great success for some of their young drivers.
Several Ontario kart drivers are now racing top level all over the world in cars.
Last winter watching #53 Mr Leven start at the back and win was fun.
Then giving the pack 1/3 of the track before starting was even more special.
Just great racing.
Mr Smith also makes a very good point with his post.
This years track, given the huge snow fall was a wee bit narrow for great racing.
Just not a lot of room for moves off the race line,
Go back a bunch of years with a big track and 18-20" of ice and it needs to be done.
Has been a few years since the track has seen more than about 8"

Crap,am I old enough to be "Mr. Smith" now?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 AM

I too think this is an interesting idea. You could do away with the qualifier to avoid sandbagging and extend practice to give equal value for entry fees.

New entries on Sunday would start at the back of the pack just like they do now - that's the penalty for not running on Saturdays.
Rod Lentino #92 '03 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS
Sponsored by Cooper Equipment Rentals
Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 AM

I'm not an ice racer but...when I used to race karts to speed the day up we drew numbers when we registered which determined starting order. Inverted for heat #2 and based on total accumulated points between the 2 heat races determined the starting order for the final race.
Here is the document on how WRKC (still) does it.
https://www.wrkc.on.ca/wp-content/up...-Rule-Book.pdf
End of page 22 start of page 23.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:11 PM

IMO the track is too narrow now for that, at least if you race in SS4.

P.S. Jimmy, lol from Mr. LevIn
#53 Toyota Tercel 4WD
#53 Toyota MR2
Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Make all 5 races count for points and go down to 5 race weekends.
Score 4 weekends,if you have bad luck and have lousy draws all 5 weekends then those will be your throw aways.