CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 09-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Re: The SCCA Solo Nationals Cheer thread

Bill with a trophy...Cordiero missing a trophy spot by 0.013s
Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 PM

Yeah the stock classes (sorry, street) are insanely close.

Citizen Cone Dodger
Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 PM

https://www.scca.com/articles/200787...rack-solo-nats

WOW! What an incredible week! I just wanted to share a synopsis of the 2017 SCCA Solo Nationals and hopefully entice some of you fence sitters to finally take the plunge and experience the spectacle that this event truly is.
We had two rookies join us this year in addition to welcoming back one of the Ontario pioneers who last competed at this event more than a decade ago! Peter Luu showed just how competitive MCO drivers can be and was only 0.14 seconds off a trophy position in a hugely competitive D street class. Peter also proved to be a good sport taking part in all of the pre/post competition revelry. (see pics)
For years Bill Gelinas has competed in a class of 1, deftly piloting his “vintage” land yacht thru painstakenly tight courses. He arrived in Lincoln in a class of 45 other American Thunder Gods and driving a 1995 Oldsmobile, he was one of the newer entrants. He also earned the distinction of having the HEAVIEST car in the entire competition as the scales could not even accommodate his beast! Despite this and having a 200+hp deficit to most of the field, he used the extraordinary grip and wide open course designs to their maximum potential and beat out 14 other drivers, CONGRATULATIONS BILL! We were all hoping Bill would trophy (or finish DFL) as he agreed to wear a duct tape bikini to the awards banquet….there is always next year Bill.
Competing in SSM were long time SCCA competitors Carl and Bruno in their Porsche GT3 alongside Quentin and (slow)Mike in the ever improving 240Z. SSM is one of the most exciting classes to watch as there was 12 wildly different cars competing for the “JACKET”. Despite only having 1 event in the car this year, team BBQ managed to finish solidly mid pack while gaining valuable insight into their car’s unique chassis dynamics. They will be back stronger and faster in 2018. Team Orange had a simply amazing showing this year gaining more than 2 seconds on their competition….who is starting to pay attention. It should be noted that for the first time (slow) Mike beat Carl’s ass and the gauntlet has been thrown down! It is not going to get any easier for team BBQ as the modifications for the 240Z have already begun…stay tuned.
Moving on to SM and the fastest Canadian at the event, (fast) Mike (aka Jesus), sent the Americans scrambling both to find more speed and to (sadly) pick up downed cones. Despite coning his best runs on both days Jesus finished a solid 6th (trophy) and has closed the gap on the perennial heavy hitters in this EXTREMELY fast class to less than .5 second! Jesus also gets the “Truly Canadian” award for offering up his car to a fellow competitor who’s car had broken. Ironically it probably contributed to his own axle breaking on his final run that was surly going to put him on a well deserved podium. Both Mike and his car are going to be fighting for a jacket next year for sure!
DISCLAIMER: The next duo are only 75% Canadian. Bahrie (100%) and Paul (50%) took turns piloting a hugely outgunned NB Miata in STR and still manage to beat out 33 others. The Irish “potato bomber” is very happy with the car and has been heard saying he will focus on the nut behind the wheel for next year 😊 There is no excuse for the ex-pat who needs to fix his own damn car and finally win a trophy in SSM like he has been promising!
The hard core award goes to Team Double D… Danielle and Dina rocked the only real race car of the Canadian team in FMOD. Literally BRUISED and BURNED they both finished very close to the trophies despite having very little track time in the car….this was Dina’s first time in the cockpit!!
Finishing out the week were 3 of us in CS all driving an ND Miata….a class filled with 34 others ND’s plus 9 other non conformers. The competition was incredibly tight with multiple positions being determined by thousandths of a second. When the checkered flag dropped Bill, Andrew, and Eric all finished within spitting distance of the top guys and were themselves only separated by .395 seconds after two days of competition. The “ultra competitive” award goes to Andrew who, after day 1 of competition, while parked in impound, noticed all the fast Miatea were on BFG’s. He proceeded to cut a deal with the 3rd place finisher to buy a set of new BFG’s and had them mounted that night! Turned out to be the right choice as Andrew went 0.7 seconds faster on day 2 and moved him within .013 sec of a trophy!
But the nationals is A LOT more than the competition, it’s a week long event of celebrations, camaraderie and good ‘ol fashioned fun that is not to be missed. Team Canada is gaining a reputation for the kind of team spirit the event is famous for. We host a micro beer exchange on the opening night which is highlighted by the midnight poutine experience that is the talk of the paddock. Texas always features a big wheel pro solo and Atlanta/NC always impress with a smoked meat feast combined with the famous “Trasharita” where one gets served from a redneck frozen margarita machine you need to see to believe. New this year, Team Canada rented RV’s which gave us all the comforts of home while at the concrete beach. It proved to be a huge success as we never once ventured downtown this year while also giving those “older”, more “mature” team members a place to relax and unwind without missing out on the festivities.
HOPE TO SEE YOU IN 2018! Start planning now!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Pics and video to follow.....
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the great write up, Bill! And so special to have the insights of a local celebrity!

Congrats, guys! Sounds like it was a good one.

Couple more years of practice and I feel I'll be ready to join you!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks for posting Bill! Sounds like everyone is raising the bar each year and it's great there's newbies to replace those of us...

It was hard to get out of meetings at work to listen to the radio broadcast of the runs but I managed to catch fastmike. So close to a podium!

For some reason they still don't have any coverage of the evening festivities broadcast live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYSRUS View Post
New this year, Team Canada rented RV’s which gave us all the comforts of home while at the concrete beach. It proved to be a huge success as we never once ventured downtown this year while also giving those “older”, more “mature” team members a place to relax and unwind without missing out on the festivities.
^^^ this is what I need now that I'm more "mature". I can't keep up with the younger and "younger at heart" folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYSRUS View Post
HOPE TO SEE YOU IN 2018! Start planning now!
I have already informed my vacation planner that I'm out that week...so I'm in. Oddly, now that I have a Talon with working A/C I'll probably trailer it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:32 PM

Here are the videos, again not sure how great this will be on a mobile:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3UVonx
Old 09-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Here's the photos, hopefully you can see the captions on a mobile:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7HkDms
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM

That looked like a blast! I need to do this next year!