CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Time Attack Specific Forum

Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Introduction

Hello all,

I thought I should introduce myself and talk a little bit about my car, my goals, and some questions I have about the rule book.

My name is Matt Wrightman, I'm 24 years old (25 on coincidentally this years open house day, April 7) and I've been addicted to motorsports since I was 6 or 7 years old. Also I live in Barrie which is of course not close to any of the event locations but that doesn't stop me from making the trip out to places. Every year I travel to Bancroft for the Tall Pines rally. (It was awesome to see you there Stephen!)

You may have met me at the competitors meeting back in November. I didn't talk much as I want to see how things worked. I have a Hyundai Tiburon 2.7L V6 that I got in 2013. In stock form it has 171hp and 180tq and weighs around 3030 pounds. The car started out as a daily driver and ultimately my first car. It progressed into a street car with simple modifications like intake, exhaust, headers, coilovers, clutch, flywheel, etc. This past year I finally knew the direction I wanted to go in with it. Knowing there was nothing more that could be done to increase power that wasn't super expensive (cams, forced induction, dyno tune), I looked into more suspension components, (bushings, larger control arms, etc.) tires, and weight reduction. Today my car is 100% stripped out inside (except the dash of course). I removed all the sound deadening material that manufactures glue the bare metal, even the passenger seat which is about 50 pounds on its own as well as the ac compressor, condenser, and associated lines. In total its lost about 250 just with the inside trim pieces, an over 400 pounds overall. Currently it sits in storage about 15km away from my house and I can't even work on it through the winter.

Heres what my plans are for the 2018 season. I have a bbk I'm installing with stainless lines, DOT 5.1 fluid, and race pads. The car will not be daily driven anymore for that reason. I also have a harness bar that I hope I can use with a race seat this season for the sole purpose of not moving around in the seat. The stock seats are leather and therefore do not hold me in place at all. I understand the rule of needing rollover protection to use a harness and while I plan to eventually get a full custom cage, my funds have prevented me from getting it.

I've classed my car out for pips and from what I can tell I believe I'll be in GT4 unless I've made a mistake somewhere. Looking at the other cars I could be against it seems like I could have some much faster competition to contend with. Thats ok though because while I would obviously like to finish on or near the podium, this being my first year in OTA, I'm really just trying to learn the way these events run and learn the capabilities of my car.

Some things I'm concerned about with my car are that my exhaust has zero catalytic converters. Stock it has three, one for each header and one downstream. This has not upset for cars ecu in any way as it runs perfect and still passes e-tests every 2 years. I heard this topic come up in the meeting and I believe it was settled that if theres no engine codes and the ecu is happy then theres nothing to worry about? I'm wondering if this still classes it as an unauthorized mod and I need to find a way to put a cat back in?

Thank you for making it this far into my introduction. I'm extremely excited for the season to begin. I've been watching as many youtube videos as I can find for OTA, going through the 2017 rule book, checking in on these forums to see if anything new has been posted and asking questions in the two main time attack groups on facebook. I would absolutely love to make a career out of this and participate in CSCS, travel internationally to events like Gridlife and Global Time Attack eventually in a few years.

Thanks for your time. I look forward to meeting you all!

Matt
Ontario Time Attack #407
Hyundai Tiburon V6
@trackattacktiburon
Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 PM

Re: Introduction

Welcome Matt, being new to OTA in the past few years the best place to start is slowly! Don't overwhelm yourself too quickly.. use year 1 to feel the series out and feel your car out.

OTA offers schools and lots of competitors willing to help out!

The classing system is a but of a challenge, you can always ask for help..

Maximizing your mods is key, if you are taking pips for mods, they better be optimized..

The seat and Harness bar is a good modification, I would look at least to do a roll bar weld or bolted in, you can move to a full cage down the road!

You will love OTA

Grant
Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Hi Grant, thanks for the welcome!

The problem with doing a half cage (because I’ve asked fabricators) is that they don’t want to do half of something and add on to it in the future. Just do everything at once. Cages can range from $3000 to upwards of $15000 and not even $3000 is affordable when I can put that money into more effective mods at this point in the cars racing life.

Matt
Ontario Time Attack #407
Hyundai Tiburon V6
@trackattacktiburon
Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 PM

you can always add on to it later on just make sure you size your tubing properly if that is your plan in the future, Tubing size and thickness varies depending on vehicle weight and whether you are using chromoly , DOM , or ERW.
Curb Weight Mild Steel Alloy Steel
Up to 1500 lbs 1.375” x 0.095” 1.375” x 0.080”
1501-2500 lbs 1.500” x 0.095” 1.375” x 0.095”
Over 2500 lbs 1.500” x 0.120” 1.500” x 0.095” Or 1.750” x 0.095”
.3 ERW tubing may be used in the following sizes only.
Curb Weight ERW Tubing
Up to 2500 lbs 1.500” x 0.120”
Over 2500 lbs 1.750” x 0.120”

have fun , its a great series , competitive and friendly !
#45 Scion FR-S - GT3 class
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM

In the process of building a cage at the moment.

Do it all at once or just live with the roll bar...unless you want to do a bolt in to start. The bolt in RB can then be removed/shortened/dropped etc for the addition of the front section.

Once you weld in the roll bar, you will need to remove the roof (or cut holes in it...not recommended) or cut the bar out and use riser boxes or similar....this is to allow for a 360 deg welding of all the top tubes. Without the room to access the top of the bar it will be impossible and it then won't pass any race bodies inspection. Welding in a roll bar and then cutting it up to do the cage will likely cost you more $$$ in the end.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Hi Matt!

Great to see another driver join our fold! In reading your intro, I noticed a lack of any mention of attending any driving schools - have you taken any?

DISCLAIMER: I also teach with Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy and we also happen to run a course at TMP.

I highly suggest the OTA driver schools at Mosport DDT and GP. As someone who has kept their car 99% stock, I'm a huge proponent of driver mod above all else mods. It helps immensely when you keep your platform the same and realize what you are doing right and wrong to adjust and fine tune your senses.

I still plan on pretty much staying somewhat stock next year (only getting rid of my staggered wheel setup, adding catch cans to find out where my oil consumption is going to and oil pan baffles to prevent starvation).

OTA provides some of the best quality lapping times during the competition period and its best if you have an idea of what you do right and wrong to feel out and even experiment during the hot runs to line up a good run. It's what I do during this period and I usually nail in a good time towards the end of the day on the last lap or two. Previous instruction really helps as I always wind up subconsciously hearing all of my past instructors coaching in my head as I enter a turn.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM

My eventual plan is to get a carbon roof or maybe just an oem replacement roof panel for now because I do want to get rid of my sunroof. They’re so heavy lol.

No I haven’t taken any advanced driving schools yet but I’m absolutely signing up for all the OTA ones. Only last month I participated in my first open lapping day at TMP and learned a lot even just on my own. I’ve been a long time sim racer and was able to apply basic concepts I learned there to real life.
Ontario Time Attack #407
Hyundai Tiburon V6
@trackattacktiburon
Old 01-03-2018, 01:57 PM

Hi again, Matt! Nice to see more folks here who also appreciate rally. My philosophy is a Subaru for all occasions!

Regarding your cat-less exhaust, the comment at the meeting was "as long as there is at least one functioning catalytic converter, and it passes emissions, you don't have to claim PIP 5.0.B.4." That doesn't mean you have to put a catalytic converter in, just that you have to claim the PIP if you don't. If you think the extra exhaust flow is getting you 0.2 seconds better laptime on a 75 second track, then keep it.

Technically, I suppose that you can also do it rally style, but this may draw attention on the street without a turn-down.

Stephen, SPDA VP, OTA Director, CCC Member
OTA: MOD? -=- CSCS: SSA #842
Old 01-03-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
Hi again, Matt! Nice to see more folks here who also appreciate rally. My philosophy is a Subaru for all occasions!
Oddly enough, rallying is what got me into driving.

Used to work at the Tall Pines back during my university days. Unfortunately my haphazard work travel schedule made me unreliable to attend as a volunteer so I had to stop that one. We may have crossed paths before at the Pines!