CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Road Race Specific Forum

Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Racing radios

I'm looking into investing in an on board radio system, and looking for a bit of insight from people that already have a setup. I'm trying to do this on a budget, which is why I'm asking for suggestions and not jumping onto racingradios.com and buying their package. I would like something that can be used (at least most of the way) around mosport, and only need 1 crew headset. This is one way I'm trying to get my son more involved at the track. I think he'd get a kick out of talking to me while I'm in the car.

I would be happy to buy a package, piece things together from different sources (ebay?) or even used stuff if there's anyone out there looking to part with their systems. Low budget is the name of the game here...however I am reasonable and I know what they are worth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Re: Racing radios

Low cost is what we were after too.. Went with a reasonable set of motorola 2-way PTT radios and one of these kits for both Helmets.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Push button goes in driver's reach. You just have to make sure you get the right pin size and number for the radios you have.

That takes care of the in-car, but we don't have a line on something the spotter can wear yet.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
Low cost is what we were after too.. Went with a reasonable set of motorola 2-way PTT radios and one of these kits for both Helmets.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Push button goes in driver's reach. You just have to make sure you get the right pin size and number for the radios you have.

That takes care of the in-car, but we don't have a line on something the spotter can wear yet.
I bought that same headset and Motorola radios from Canadian Tire (light duty, hobby radios), only worked within basically line of site at Mosport.
Had a suggestion from Ken at Junction to look at these radios...same as the rugged radio kits apparently.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4FO2TW/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
Then you need headsets, etc but apparently there aren't many deals on those.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM

I have been down this road before and have concluded without question that 'piecing' a radio system together is a fool's errand that does nothing but waste time and yield a sub-standard result. For a radio system to work well in the harsh environment of a race car every piece needs to be up to the task.

The kits offered by companies like Racing Radios may look expensive but they are actually quite decently priced when you break them down. Moreover they hold their value really well in the used market.

My best advice is to set some cash aside and scour the race forums so you can jump on a set of used radios when they come up (radios always sell fast). Use your radios for as long as you race and then get most of your money back by selling them on. Radios are not a technology that changes with time and a good set is very reliable so there is nothing to become obsolete.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on a set of those BauFeng radios with motorcycle headset, and I found a used set of proper racing radios for close to the same price.

If anyone else is looking, and can't find used, I managed to put together a really decent looking kit, including a proper crew headset, through ebay for around $275 CAD