CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > General Interest > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Webmaster CASC-OR

CASC-OR Election For VP

I am posting this as a way of explaining why I am standing for the position of vice-president in the CASC-OR elections next weekend, and why I believe you and your club should support me. I understand that there are three people standing for the one year term in the vacant Vice-President's position. By posting this, I hope that any support I may receive from you (through your clubs) will be based on knowing something about me and what I will bring to the position.

I have been an active participant in Ontario Region motorsport since 1970. I am a life member of CTA and a past president of that organization. I have served on BARC's board of directors and the CASC-OR race committee over many years, including two terms as President of BARC from 1993 through 1996. During that time I also chaired the Ontario Race Organizers committee. I am currently part of the BARC race committee, and I serve as BARC's Co- Organizer and Clerk Of The Course for the Molson Indy Toronto.

As well as my involvement in organization, I raced actively for nearly a decade in CASC-OR ice racing, and competed at the Race Ontario regional level as well. Over the years I have sampled most of the other forms of motorsport in CASC at one time or another. I have spent many summers working with teams competing in various ASN Canada National series and have worked for those same national series as an official.

My style is one of active listening, clear communication and transparency. I work from the premise that a correct understanding of the problem is essential to finding the right solution. I also bring a good understanding of how technology can address business issues.

With the office of Vice-President being filled for the only the second year of a two year term, I believe it is important to integrate with the rest of CASC Board Of Directors and contribute right away to initiatives which are already started.

I believe that the club structure under which we all operate is integral to our success, not a barrier to that success, and needs to be nurtured. The spirit of the member clubs forms the backbone of our organization, and we must operate in ways which preserve and enhance that spirit.

I believe the most important task for the CASC board of directors is to continuously improve the communication within CASC, from club to club, and between clubs and CASC. We need to increase trust and confidence between one another.

The significance of this trust is that it is essential to obtaining real commitment of all clubs towards shared goals. We need the buy in of all the stakeholders to be successful.

It is important for me personally not to take a "race-centric" viewpoint, but rather to understand and represent the needs and desires of all the participants in CASC-OR. In addition, motorsport is constantly evolving, with the emergence of new forms of the sport such as drifting. We need to be able to provide value to those new forms of motorsport, by providing support, structure and organization which enhances their competition.

We need to ensure we grow the sport by attracting new participants to the sport. I see no value in only encouraging existing participants to move from one form of CASC motorsport to another, or in reducing the number of events in an attempt to get larger fields at fewer events. Competitors are customers - we need to give them opportunities to participate and then they will identify what they like and want.

I recognize that the ability for all clubs to participate is also important to the health of the sport. I strongly believe, though, that the way to ensure the success of all events is to increase the participant base. There's an old saying - "a rising tide floats all boats" - if we increase the competitor and participant base, we all win.

I think building the CASC "brands" and awareness of the various disciplines of our sport is key for us to increase this participation and grow the sport. We compete with all leisure activities to attract participants and their spending. Our focus needs to be to "get the message out" on who we are, what we do, and most importantly why motorsport as we present it represents great value for participants. In building this awareness, we will not only attract new participants, we will increase our value to sponsors who invest in the sport to get their message out.

I also believe that there are also opportunities to defray the costs of events over a wider base of participants. With increased communication between clubs and disciplines we can identify opportunities for multi-disciplinary partnerships on events (i.e. solo event combined with a race event), benefiting participants by reducing the costs each participant bears.

So to summarize, my points are;

- get up to speed quickly as a board member so existing initiatives can continue moving forward
- improve communication between clubs and CASC to build trust, buy in, and commitment
- identify ways CASC provides value to member clubs and focus on increasing that value, particularly in attracting new member clubs
- continue to identify ways CASC can increase the profile and awareness of the sport to increase participation and sponsor value
- identify partnerships within the sport for joint events to spread costs over a wider base (where that makes sense), reducing the cost to competitors

So that's my point of view. If this makes sense to you, please support my candidacy by contacting your club's President or executive now and ask them to support me at the CASC AGM on November 13.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your support.

Scott Ellsworth

Last edited by ellswrth; 11-10-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Administrator

New CASC-OR VP

Congrats to Scott for stepping up to the plate and taking over the VP position within CASC-OR. I know he'll do a good job for the members and the board. He's been around a long time and knows motorsports & business real well and has great ideas fro the future. A definite asset to all of us.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:28 PM

Congratulations Scott!

Pat
Old 11-15-2004, 10:12 PM

I thought Scott's speech was excellent - covered all the bases and we are looking forward to continuing with marketing and promotion.