CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM

Lightbulb Wanted: Volunteers for a PITL Experiment

As some of you know, the PITL organizers recruited me to write their event recap articles.

I have an idea for an article or a series of articles that may/may not be appropriate for these recaps, but that I want to try just for the heck of it. I intend to submit to some media sources when it's complete, if they're not okay for the PITL recaps. (Once a writer, always a writer...)

My idea is to find at least 2 volunteers that are willing to swap cars at a PITL event.

The catch is that I want the drivers to swap from FWD <-> RWD, RWD <-> AWD, or AWD <-> FWD.

So, to volunteer for my little experiment, you must meet the following requirements:

1 - plan on attending the next PITL event on June 4

2 - be willing to allow someone else to drive your car for the day

3 - have minimal experience on a drivetrain opposite of your own (I'm looking for people who can comment on a "fish out of water" experience, so if you can drive anything with a tranny like a pro, you're a tad too advanced for this one)

4 - have a clean driving record at all Solo2 events in the last year - if there have been curb, timing, tree, or marshal incidents in your recent driving history, I can't ask someone to hand over their keys to you. Sorry.

5 - be willing to surrender the passenger seat on at least one run to me, so I can take notes

Now, obviously my Insight is available for the FWD section of this - you always wanted to know what it's like to have 73 hp, right? - but I have no problems with having multiples of each car so we can make some of the trades in similarly prepared vehicles.

Anybody interested?

Furthermore, am I smoking crack on this and my plan sounds like it will produce the most boring article ever?

CURRENT VOLUNTEERS:
Jason D -> FWD Civic (HS)
Jay H -> RWD Toyota (Class?)
Adrian -> FWD Cavalier (HS)

Last edited by opal; 05-12-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:30 AM

You know.. I'd consider this.. if I didn't actually want to win the series. Having already missed an event... I can't scrap another.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Actually, I think it sounds like a pretty good idea Opal.

Unfortunately, I won't be at the June 4 PITL.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 AM

Taylor: Yes, I figured that could be a problem... ah well, I guess it'll just stay with those of us who aren't terribly competative

Keith: The date of said experiment is negotiable. If volunteers are willing, but need a later event, that's fine!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:46 AM

I`m willing to participate

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM

Hey Opal,

A whole lot of people that read these forums may not even qualify to your requirements. Which is a testament to the skill of all participants here.

Most here are fairly adept at driving vehicles of any drivetrain configuration. Perhaps if you relax the requirments, you'd have more of a field to choose from.

I know for a fact, that we could convince a couple of AWD folks to surrender their rides to help you out in your article, for a fee. Muahahahaha.. JK.. Seriously, I'm sure we could furnish someone...

SPDA, Bringing "Racing to Racers"!
2003 CSP Champion, 2004 FSP Champion,
2005 FSP Champion, 2006 FSP Champion
Supported by the greatest companies!!
Click me to see the companies supporting grass roots motorsports!!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM

newbie's not allowed?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT
Hey Opal,

A whole lot of people that read these forums may not even qualify to your requirements... Most here are fairly adept at driving vehicles of any drivetrain configuration.
I am in no way meaning to rule out those who are more experienced drivers. However, it's not much of a challenge (and therefore not much of an article) if you're an expert at driving everything.

I come from an AWD Subaru family myself, but I have ZERO experience auto-xing a Subaru!

I didn't figure that was a rarity (based on the friendly commentary last year re: the rwd and fwd shootout cars) but if it is, Joe, yes, I will absolutely loosen the requirements a little.
And of course, I would be happy to have a volunteer from the SPDA fold!

Also, to answer BangHatch's question, newbies are absolutely welcome! The catch being that whomever you're switching with has to be confident enough about your abilities to hand over the keys.

My requirements are just an attempt to keep everyone within comfort zone while trying something new. I don't want to add to safety concerns at an event in ANY way.

Clear as mud?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:37 PM

I'm interested! Sounds like some fun times.

Can't say I lack FWD experience though. Maybe you shoud drop me into a mid-engine car or AWD.

- J
Old 05-12-2005, 01:06 PM

I too would volunteer my services... oh, and the car, for a good story.
Can't say I've competitively driven anything other then FWD.

Anyway, maybe we should start some sort of list? Opal, have you jotted down who's already volunteered and how qualified they are in meeting your requirements?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
I too would volunteer my services... oh, and the car, for a good story.
Can't say I've competitively driven anything other then FWD.

Anyway, maybe we should start some sort of list? Opal, have you jotted down who's already volunteered and how qualified they are in meeting your requirements?
Updated the first entry to list the victims, er, volunteers who agreed for the 4th.

(Anyone who wants to play, but not on the 4th, we can set up a round two...)
Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM

I`ve never driven a RWD or AWD car ever...

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children
Old 05-12-2005, 02:57 PM

It's a TON of fun switching cars. I was lucky enough to get a chance to drive an AWD Talon and a Miata my first year.

I'm not so sure past curbing/timing/bumping incidents are necessarily indicative of future performance though. I never hit anything before last Saturday at my second RWD autocross...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B18C5
It's a TON of fun switching cars. I was lucky enough to get a chance to drive an AWD Talon and a Miata my first year.

switching cars is A LOT of fun..

- appreciate or end up hating your own car
- compare different setups

the only thing that is important.. is that you are totally comfortable handing over your keys to another driver

its ok to say yes.. but its ok to say no as well
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B18C5
I'm not so sure past curbing/timing/bumping incidents are necessarily indicative of future performance though. I never hit anything before last Saturday at my second RWD autocross...
Maybe not, but it's enough evidence for me to not want you to race MY car in the near future.