CASC Ontario Region Message Forums  

Go Back   CASC Ontario Region Message Forums > CASC-OR Divisions > Autoslalom Specific Forum

Old 06-15-2005, 10:29 PM

Cash Prizes ??

After telling someone I bought 2 new sets of rims and 3 sets of tires, they asked me what I was racing for? I told them I was pretty sure there wasn't really any prizes, but that the personal victory meant alot...

Why aren't there any prizes? What happens if you win nationals/regionals, SCCA events?

Why isn't there an ultra competitive cash prize league. I'd think you'd find some people interested in a $50 entry with prizes for FTD and class wins? 50 entrants after paying for the venue and other costs would leave a purse of more than a grand?

Maybe its just the business man in me or i've been playing too much GT4????
Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 PM

Re: Cash Prizes ??

You think there's arguing and complaining now, wait until money is involved.
AutoX is supposed to be cheap and fun and for the most part it is.
Competition Yellow 2010 MX-5 STR #64
TLMC
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krentacar
After telling someone I bought 2 new sets of rims and 3 sets of tires, they asked me what I was racing for? I told them I was pretty sure there wasn't really any prizes, but that the personal victory meant alot...

Why aren't there any prizes? What happens if you win nationals/regionals, SCCA events?

Why isn't there an ultra competitive cash prize league. I'd think you'd find some people interested in a $50 entry with prizes for FTD and class wins? 50 entrants after paying for the venue and other costs would leave a purse of more than a grand?

Maybe its just the business man in me or i've been playing too much GT4????

You want to spend $50 to race... sometimes twice on the same weekend and you won't spend $600.00 on a Tiretail for your car to move your tires around.... if that's the case how about every event we both go to you can pay my entrance fee and if I win I'll pay you the money back..... good return on your investment.....

canalignment.com, Salvage Supply Technology
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 PM

if money is involved bad blood will surely spill

i think even more so, looking from the solo 1 forum, Adam has certainly cooked up a storm,

imagine if money was on the line!!!

its much harder to weed out the skill of a driver when there are SO MANY CARS out there, and the CCC guys are doing the best they can.

altho i wouldnt mind some cash prizes myself...

at the same time you have to think about it from a macro perspective

lets say there are a number of people winning consitently, with their winnings, they have a much easier time continueing being consistent! and this is slightly unfair to the rest of the guys.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:46 PM

Here we go again...

Personally, I would love to run a pro series, but a lot of people on here seem to think it's just plain wrong. I don't see why both pro and amateur series can't exist in parallel.
Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."
Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 AM

whats money between friends/family/co workers etc..

no problem RIGHT?!?!?!

does it really matter if you get cash prizes???

in most cases the people who like to finish at the top.. end up spending money on their car anyhow

keep money out of anything.. and the fun is more FRIENDLY

sure it'd be nice to get some help some..

in a few cases.. I know of people who've ate KD for weeks just to save some money for new R's
Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 AM

just wanted some healthy discussion..
i'm not even close to being competitive enough to win...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 AM

now here's a touchy subject...

introduce cash and it changes the game...

you'll get more protests being made and more attempts at bending the rules...

and you'll have higher entry fees... (hey that prize money has to come from somewhere)

and then you have to determine is the cash for overall or for class winners... if it's for over all you'll have complaints about PAX and all that junk...

I for one perfer a headache free life... I'm sure our director would like the same thing

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children
Old 06-16-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finboy

in a few cases.. I know of people who've ate KD for weeks just to save some money for new R's
i'm living on scraps right now to pay for an lsd - and the mortgage. it sucks!

i swear, i'll never touch mr noodles again.....

i'd rather not pay more $ right now to feed someone else's addiction, cuz there's no way i'll be winning any FTD's or classing as long as tranny tanney is around.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:10 AM

There are some people that think big cash and prizes is the way to go, others want to keep it friendly competition......

My personal opinion (not as the Solo 2 Director, but as a regional competitor) is no cash! Sure a few automotive related prizes are nice, but even then, door prizes instead of competition prizes.

My opinion as the Solo 2 Director is, "Can you say Big Can of Worms!" Where's park ferme? We are going to need a big one! A team of scrutineers, a stack of service manuals, internal probing cameras, lots of labels (to label all the parts from the dozen or so engine tear dows at each event) alignment racks, scales. I don't think the series can afford all of this equipment.....

One positive thing, we could use the retained protest fees to fund the prizes!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanney

i dont think drummond has that much cash to give up!bahahahaha
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 AM

Interesting that a minor majority here seem to be opposed to cash prizes (I certainly am), but when SPDA announced there would be a cash prize for their series I was the only person to comment negatively on it.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:21 AM

I didn't comment on the SPDA series since I wasn't running it...

(yes I did the first event but I won't be at the other 2 events)

We Don't inherit the world from our Parents, We borrow it from our Children
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh
Interesting that a minor majority here seem to be opposed to cash prizes (I certainly am), but when SPDA announced there would be a cash prize for their series I was the only person to comment negatively on it.
The money for winning that series is not why I signed up.... I signed up because of the consistency factor required to win that series... You need to drive fast (which I can do) and you need to run clean (which I can do).... Therefore presenting a good venue where I can win overall....

I like the "SPDA Solo with a Twist" rules and I wanted to support Tony in his efforts to run Targa... Also because in my opinion one fast run per day does not make the best driver...... The better driver is the one who can figure out the course the fastest and run it clean and quick and just get quicker as the day goes on...... anyways my two cents......

canalignment.com, Salvage Supply Technology
Old 06-16-2005, 09:46 AM

Thumbs down Re: Cash Prizes ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanney
There are some people that think big cash and prizes is the way to go, others want to keep it friendly competition......

My personal opinion (not as the Solo 2 Director, but as a regional competitor) is no cash! Sure a few automotive related prizes are nice, but even then, door prizes instead of competition prizes.

My opinion as the Solo 2 Director is, "Can you say Big Can of Worms!" Where's park ferme? We are going to need a big one! A team of scrutineers, a stack of service manuals, internal probing cameras, lots of labels (to label all the parts from the dozen or so engine tear dows at each event) alignment racks, scales. I don't think the series can afford all of this equipment.....

As someone who does this kind of racing just to test my own limits as a driver (but I'd obviously love to be faster), I would not really be keen on the idea of cash prizes..... it seems to me that it would indeed open the field to all sorts of difficulties, not the least being those mentioned above by Wes. My preference would be the same as Gatherer and Wes and the others who wouldn't like to see prize money introduced. I think it would take away the open friendly nature of this competition and transform it into something far more contentious. Let's not go there. Sponsor provided items for draws at the end of the day are just fine.

Maxpie